A Note From David

note

Even though I always post an article on Mondays, I’m behind the 8-ball timewise this week and I could not bear to publish a half-assed version of the article I’m working on.

There is too much great content out there for me to feel compelled to deliver another article today at the expense of quality.  I could stay up until 2am and crank it out, but I’ve learned not to force these things.

Here are some suggestions, if you are looking for mental stimulation:

ItStartsWith.Us — An excellent new blog championing the role of interpersonal communication in the improvement of society.  Its author, Nate St. Pierre, is nurturing a small but growing network of open and interested people who know that they can change the world by touching other people’s lives in a meaningful way.  This is a very exciting project, I recommend getting in on the ground floor by checking it out and dropping Nate a line.

1000 Awesome Things — If you did not see it in this post, I’ve discovered an awesome blog that describes an inexplicably awesome thing every weekday.  These things aren’t life’s grandiose or expensive rewards, they’re just the tiny little miracles that inject little doses of awesomeness into day-to-day life.  In my humble opinion it is something really special.

My Archives! I know some of you have read every single post I’ve ever written.  Thank you, you people make my world go round.  But most of you have not yet accomplished this glorious feat! Now is your chance, while Raptitude is still young.

I will be away from June 18-21, on a camping trip with no computers or internet access.  I’ll have short posts scheduled normally during this time, and I won’t be able to respond to comments until the 22nd.  But I always love to read them, so don’t be shy.

I hope you are all enjoying your June.  It’s always been one of my favorite months.  Warm, optimistic and abundant.  This particular June has been hectic for me: I’m moving to a new place, taking a badly timed but previously committed 4-day camping trip, planning my big trip and tending to a dozen active projects at work.

You’ve probably seen less of me on Twitter too, and fewer of my comments on other blogs.  This is temporary; once I’m settled in a new place, I’ll be able to resume by regular level of online activity.  This month has been a real squeeze on me time and energy-wise, July should bring a saner schedule.

I can’t wait until things are back to normal, and I can spend more time writing and interacting again.  I’ve got some big plans for the summer.  My work will be featured on some other sites and in several ebook projects, I’ll be sure to let you know as they are released.

I’ve got dozens of topics I’m dying to write about, I just need to claw through this two more weeks of packing, flying, planning and moving furniture.  All in good time.

Experiment No 2, my kettlebell project, is in full swing and I’m very pleased with myself so far.  My stamina has increased substantially, and I’m looking better too.  I’ll be experiencing a scheduling hiccup this week because of my long weekend and my move, but every workout will be accounted for by the end of it.  Check out my Experiment Log, my numbers are climbing.

Experiment No 3 is coming up soon, possibly even concurrently with my current experiment.  It involves my trying on another lifestyle change for a month or so, and addressing a problem that has been going on for a while.  I’m sure some of you can relate.

Have a good Monday, talk to you soon.

Photo by J_O_I_D

Lisis June 15, 2009 at 7:05 am

You’re always so mysterious with your experiments, David! You and Ian both like to keep us hanging… anxiously anticipating news.

;)

I’m glad you posted this, as opposed to a half arsed version of whatever you are working on or, the alternative… nothing at all. Now that I have become accustomed to visiting Raptitude a few times each week, it’s nice to be able to check in with you, even if it isn’t strictly for a new carefully crafted post.

I like hearing what you are up to, and the different things in life that help or impede the creative process because I can relate to that. We aren’t machines, and things won’t always run exactly as planned. Life also has to happen in there… like camping trips, and big exciting plans for wonderful adventures.

I suppose some people would set all THOSE things aside in order to keep at their self-imposed schedule of production, but what kind of life is that? I’d rather know you are fully living your “real” life so you have lots of great stories to share with us whenever the time is right.

Happy Monday, David! Have a great week (and camping weekend)!!
.-= Lisis´s last blog ..Adventure: Play Like a Kid =-.

David June 15, 2009 at 7:58 am

Good morning Lisis.

Yeah I didn’t want to just post nothing. Normally it’s all quite manageable, but four or five unusual commitments all surfaced at the same time. I toyed with the idea of skipping the camping trip and eating the cost of a plane ticket, but I think that would just make me feel awful. I will definitely have fun, I just hope I hear whether I got my new apartment or not first.

Rosa June 15, 2009 at 9:06 am

What I like about this blog is how personal it is, you can really feel a HUMAN BEING writing here, you have your readers`s best interest at heart and I`ll be checking those archives to see what I`ve missed, I`m sure I will enjoy all of them. Good luck on your plans!!!
Btw, love the little post-it :)
.-= Rosa´s last blog ..Si tu quieres bailar! – If you want to dance! =-.

Nate St. Pierre June 15, 2009 at 10:22 am

Well David, you made my morning. Here I am doing my usual rounds, checking in on your site, and I see my name in your post! I did a double-take at first, hahaha…

Thanks so much for the kind words, and for all of your inspirational writing. Your site is one that continues to make a positive impact in my life.
.-= Nate St. Pierre´s last blog ..12 Simple Ways To Impress Your Boss (And Everyone Else) =-.

Srinivas Rao June 15, 2009 at 11:14 am

Thanks for sharing these new site. I’ll have to go check them out and add to my RSS feed.
.-= Srinivas Rao´s last blog ..Interview with Peter Bregman Harvard Business School Press =-.

suzen June 15, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Hi David – This blog was refreshing, no need to feel you have not given a quality read or some such nonsense. It’s nice to read about the life you are living, lest we think you are a monk thinking profound thoughts in a Himalayan cave.

Enjoy your commune with nature!
.-= suzen´s last blog ..Thoughts on Words =-.

David June 16, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Rosa — Thank you Rosa. I really do value all of you readers very much and I don’t want to anyone hanging. The thought of Raptitude going stagnant even for a week is unsettling to me.

Nate — My pleasure Nate. I think almost anyone who appreciates Raptitude would appreciate ItStartsWith.Us too.

Srinivas — Right on, enjoy!

Suzen — Ha! What if I told you I do live in a Himilayan cave. I love the cave I’m in but the lease is up soon… hopefully I can arrange something with a neighboring hermit.

alex - unleash reality June 17, 2009 at 7:32 am

Hey David!

Really cool to hear about what you’re working on and your process rather than the product every now and then. take a look inside the machine :)

…and really cool that you don’t feel the need to post. loving the 1000awesomethings link.

all the best
alex – unleash reality
.-= alex – unleash reality´s last blog ..Rap Battles and a Cuppa Tea =-.

Roger - A Content Life June 17, 2009 at 8:20 am

David,

I appreciate that you’re emphasizing high quality content. I always look forward to your writing. Have good move and great trip!
.-= Roger – A Content Life´s last blog ..My Newlywed Niece =-.