The Seven Blunders of the World

Gandhi

Mohandas Gandhi, in his search for the true roots of human violence, identified seven categorical acts of “passive violence.”

They each mark a common human oversight that leads to suffering and destruction. Supposedly, there are no other mistakes of significant consequence.

These are too elegant to spoil with my own commentary, so I’ll just leave them naked, for you to consider.

1. Wealth without work

2. Pleasure without conscience

3. Knowledge without character

4. Commerce without morality

5. Science without humanity

6. Worship without sacrifice

7. Politics without principle

If you have a dilemma, can you find its root in one of Gandhi’s blunders?

Have a happy and thoughtful Wednesday. – David

bandlerRaptitude is a scheduled stop on the virtual book tour for Conversations with Richard Bandler today. Dr Richard Bandler is the originator of Neuro-Linguistic Programming, an increasingly-popular self-therapy method. Due to time and enthusiasm constraints I will not be reviewing the book, but my friend Lisis at Quest for Balance wrote a thorough review not long ago.

Learn to live in the present

Everyday mindfulness has transformed my life, and has for countless others. You can use it to reduce stress, deal calmly with trouble, and experience joy and peace throughout each day. Making it a habit is easier than you probably think. Learn how.

John August 12, 2009 at 7:20 am

Very insightful blunders David. Everything I can think of falls under these seven categories. I’ll keep these blunders bookmarked for future references. Thanks for sharing man.
.-= John´s last blog ..How to Add Blogging to Your To-Do List =-.

Srinivas Rao August 12, 2009 at 9:53 am

Interesting list David. Despite being Indian, i strangely have not read much about Ghandi, but it sounds like some of his words will be instrumental to personal development.

Kaushik August 12, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Gandhi had a some trouble with the scene in the Mahabharata, where two huge related armies were about to massacre each other, and Arjuna, is reluctant to kill, but the god Krishna advises him to continue, for it is already ordained. This advice is the Bhagvad Gita.

Gandhi did not like that Krishna was promoting violence. He later came to understand that the devastating war is symbolic of the internal war of thoughts and emotions–they are ephemeral and irrelevant.

With the Gandhi’s life unfolded, his wisdom is always down-to-earth and imminently practical.

Thanks for posting.
.-= Kaushik´s last blog ..Do you feel lighter, more compassionate, more joyful, more natural, more playful? =-.

prayerthegate August 12, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Gandhi was an amazing man. He fasted and meditated often, which I believe gave him such clear insights. He didn’t overcome great obsticles with shear will power; but he did overcome by humility and grace. A lesson I re-learn occasionally.

Thanks for bringing this info to your readers today. You are an uncommon man with interesting insights to share with all of us.
.-= prayerthegate´s last blog ..Bless You =-.

David August 12, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Thank you! I definitely cannot take any credit here; I didn’t even editorialize like I usually do.

brigid August 13, 2009 at 8:01 am

Hi David
You have a very thought provoking site here, one I will be visiting regularly.
Thank you for your insights on life, drugs, social expectations and the ease with which we can live our own lives our own way when we want to.
What can I say about Mahatma Ghandi, his thoughts are simple and succinct. perfect in their simplicity.
If only I could maintain them, But I guess we are all in the same boat there.
I appreciate your thoughts
Brigid
.-= brigid´s last blog ..Are Friendships Really That Important? =-.

David August 13, 2009 at 8:06 am

Thanks Brigid, I appreciate your comment. You’re right, we’re all in the same boat. Sometimes that’s a comforting thought.

Dayne | TheHappySelf.com August 13, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Love this post. Simple. Direct. Powerful.

Have you seen the movie “Ghandi” David? I actually just got a copy a few weeks ago, I haven’t seen it yet. I might have to now after reading your post. :)

Cheers,
Dayne
.-= Dayne | TheHappySelf.com´s last blog ..What If? =-.

rgdaniel August 13, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Hmmm… well I’m going to poke this one a little I think…. these kinds of simplistic, slogan-ish micro-thoughts are borderline tautologies… fine for Twitter, but requiring a little more context and examination before they should be swallowed whole…

For example, #3 “Knowledge without character”… surely ALL of these would be equally well served by including “character”… Politics in particular could benefit from more character…

Or #2, “Pleasure without conscience”… again, surely “conscience” is a vital component of ANY human endeavour.

You can pretty much mix-and-match any of these and get equally profound sounding slogans… “Wealth without morality” … “Commerce without principal”…

Therefore, Mr Ghandi, I call bullshit on these… take it to Twitter…
B-)
.-= rgdaniel´s last blog ..My Right Retina =-.

Nadirah Angail August 13, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Love your blog. It’s full of goodness, just like I like. Found it today. Will definitely be coming back and adding it to my blogroll.
.-= Nadirah Angail´s last blog ..On Why I Often Ignore Doctors’ Advice =-.

science health August 22, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Very good article. Realized me that I am loosing my principles.
.-= science health´s last blog ..Symptoms, precautions and treatment of H1N1 Swine Flu =-.