You

fingerprint

As I mentioned in Thursday’s article, Raptitude is officially six months old.

I’m thrilled with how fast my readership grown, I really never expected this. I want let you know I’m very grateful for your time and attention.

This week my RSS subscriber count hit 700 for the first time, and I know that doesn’t account for the many regular readers who don’t use RSS or even know what it is. This last two months I’ve averaged over 1,500 unique visitors a day.

There is a fairly regular group of commenters (mostly fellow bloggers) whom I’ve come to know through their feedback, and I get emails from fans telling me about themselves and their stories. When I picture my audience, I tend to think of that small group of familiar names and avatars.

But the numbers indicate they are a minority, and there are hundreds of regular readers I know absolutely nothing about. I’ve published 68 articles, each one a mishmash of my own personal stories, opinions, rants and reflections, and there is a sizable group of people who invest some of their day to come here to read them.

I just speak my thoughts into my keyboard, but for the most part I don’t even know who I’m speaking to! Yet they listen. It’s so bizarre.

I was talking with someone last night about writing for one’s audience versus just writing what comes to mind. Some argue that your writing should not be shaped by the thought of who is reading it, lest it become pandering. It’s an understandable point, but I don’t agree. Readers are a necessary and equal part of the equation. Writing is communicating, not just pondering. This is not a journal; you are a part of it too.

So here’s my question:

Who are you?

Yes, you! The person staring at the screen right now. I would love to know a little bit about you. Even just where you’re from and how you heard about Raptitude. Something.

I know most people generally don’t leave comments on blogs, and I’m not asking that you start doing that. Most commenters have their own blogs and commenting is an essential part of promoting a blog.

But it would be so great to hear from long-time (and new) readers who have never made their presence known here. Even if it’s just this once.

One thing many people don’t know is that commenting does not require you to sign up for anything. The blogging software requires an email address, but it is kept private and is never used for anything. You can even enter a fake one.

So please, if you’ve enjoyed any of my articles over the last six months, I ask this tiny favor of you. It doesn’t need to take longer than thirty seconds. There is a living, breathing audience of everyday people behind those faceless statistics, and I am so, so curious to know who they are.

Photo by Izzie Whizzie

Learn to live in the present

Everyday mindfulness has transformed my life, and has for countless others. You can use it to reduce stress, deal calmly with trouble, and experience joy and peace throughout each day. Making it a habit is easier than you probably think. Learn how.

Vanessa November 1, 2010 at 2:17 am

I’m a post kidney transplant patient and I’m only 23. I’ve been depressed for some time now so I was researching online about how to cope in life and to how to find happiness; I came upon your blog and I loved it! It was very inspirational and you gave me a boost in life. I look forward reading more of your blogs.

Thank you. :)

Tetra May 16, 2012 at 9:22 am

Hey David, I would like to let you know how I found out about raptitude! A friend of mine posted “This will never happen again” (I think that was the title) via Facebook, I read it, really liked it, and thus highlighted the url & deleted so that it just read http://www.raptitude.com, saved it to favorite websites, and I began exploring your blog, and I do enjoy it. Thanks for sharing your writing! :)

Navroop March 16, 2013 at 6:37 am

I came to know about Raptitude through a friend of mine who posted an article from your blog on facebook. It was about how we check our emails to get high. That was back in 2011. Since then i have always picked up random articles from your blog to read and have always enjoyed each and every single one of them. I wish that wasn’t true so atleast i wont be so addicted to it as iam right now. Since the beginning of this year, as part of my new year resolution, i decided to read everything you have ever posted on this website from the very beginning and this page is where i am right now!

I fly to Goa,india end of this week and i have to finish reading all of it before that! I have to! Since going to Goa for me is always such a spiritual experience and somehow reading all what you have posted has got something to do with it.
I live in Dubai. Always lived here. Born and brought up here. I have my own share of struggles but nothing that i can’t manage especially when i know iam not alone.
If you ever comedown to Dubai, maybe we can catchup for an innocent cup of coffee :)

David March 18, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Well godspeed with your mission! I think it’s a worthy cause. I’m envious, I’d love to go to Goa.

If i’m in Dubai I will give you a ring.

Carol August 6, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Hi David, I found your blog through mrmoneymoustache about 3 months ago. It was about Minimalism. I had been reading up on it for over a year and made some attempts at it. After reading your article I got very serious about it and my life feels lighter already. I was hooked on your writing style when you pointed out that we tend to keep ‘stuff’ around to distract ourselves from what we really should be doing.
So for the last 3 months I have slowly read in order all your past posts from the beginning to here. It has been a great journey so far.
PS… I love your wordy posts. You delve deep into the subject instead of just glossing over.

garcinia cambogia fruit April 15, 2014 at 7:08 am

Once this is extracted, it cann help us contain our
food cravings ass you will have too be expelled as quickly
as iss possible. According to a study carried out for the National Cancer Institute there iis
nno reason to pay more and get your money wasted for nothing.

Their Benefits Here we go again, another miacle diet pikll seen on the Dr.

The actife ingredient is hydroxy citric acid, otherwise known as HCA, comes specifically from the tamarind fruit, which
looks like small pumpkin.