I Don’t Want Stuff Any More, Only Things

Post image for I Don’t Want Stuff Any More, Only Things

I have been a bad parent. I only did what I knew, but I can no longer deny it: I never gave them a good home. I never made them feel useful or showed them any respect.

Today I dropped off hundreds of former possessions at the Goodwill shop. Maybe they’ll find adoptive parents who will be better than I have. I don’t even remember ever deciding to take them on as my dependents. They just happened. But somewhere along the line, all those things became stuff, and lost my respect.

Most of us live amidst stuff. We do have a few things too — well-used, well-enjoyed, and well-respected items that have an established place in our lives. But most of it is stuff.

Stuff makes us feel bad. It fills the mind with fading hopes about what we might one day do with it, taunts us with our obvious inability to manage it, and gives us the ominous sense that we’re losing track of something crucial, either in the physical mess of stuff itself, or in the mental mess it creates in our heads.

I don’t want stuff anymore, only things.

My black, square coffee table in the center of my living room is a thing.

My set of puke-green plates, which sit on the shelf above the nice white plates I actually use, are stuff.

My stainless steel water bottle, only four weeks old but already a close companion, is a thing.

My Beatles Jigsaw puzzle, which I got as a gift and immediately loved the idea of — but never assembled — is stuff.

I donated about a hundred pounds of stuff today. Sometimes it’s sad to get rid of some items, particularly if you had high hopes for them, if they were a gift, or if you associate them with someone you miss.

But how much sadder is it to hoard something in your home for years for some inane psychological reason, without actually putting it to use or giving it a proper place?

If I’m going to own an item, the least I could do is be a good parent to it. And the most fundamental responsibility of a parent is to give your children a decent home.

Stuff doesn’t usually have a home. Items of stuff are transients, surviving day-by-day in a temporary stack somewhere, leaning sadly against a garage wall, or sleeping in the darkness of a junk drawer, never sure of their fate or purpose. A particularly fortunate piece might get a chance to hibernate in a half-full cardboard box in the storage room, with some other hard-luck outcasts.

Nor do they have jobs. Just ask my broken acoustic guitar. Sorry, pal, but as a chronically disabled possession I just can’t keep you busy here. But feel free to mill about the closet behind the well-employed shirts and pants. I’m too insecure and sentimental to boot you out, but maybe one day, by some unlikely turn of events, you’ll become relevant again.

Those of us already spoiled for possessions sometimes have the nerve to wish for more possessions, even feeling deprived of the possessions we really want, while we hoard ones we evidently don’t want. Comparing my lot to that of a proverbial caveman’s, I would still be a supremely superpowered human being with only my ten favorite possessions. Thog the caveman sure would make better use of my stuff than I do, even just the contents of my junk drawer. A Bic lighter and a silver boxcutter and he’d be one grateful human being.

So maybe, out of respect for others (if not for myself), I shouldn’t own anything I’m not willing to give a proper place in my home. If I take it into my home, I should provide a place where it’s properly, officially away, or I shouldn’t pretend I have any business owning it.

Eliminate homelessness from your home

I will not be a cat-lady with my things anymore, taking on more and more tenants I can’t take care of. I don’t have them all because I love them, I accumulate them because I don’t love them.

We’ve all heard the adage, “A place for everything, and everything in its place.” I have yet to meet a person who actually lives this reality (although I haven’t met Leo Babauta or Everett Bogue, or anyone else who limits possessions to double-digit quantities.) But now I think it is the only sane way to live, and I’m determined to make it my reality. I will eliminate homelessness from my home.

If there is anything in your home that does not have a home — a place where it can be properly, officially put away, then I dare say you are taking it for granted. If you can’t bother to even give it a home, either its value is lost on you, or it has none.

The truth is most of us don’t have enough space in our homes to give our possessions the self-respect of having a permanent address. We have too much, and this undermines our gratitude for each possession.

On especially clear-minded days I’m able to live with the persistent amazement and gratitude suggested in A Day in the Future. The more I have, the less often I feel that kind of gratitude for my possessions, and the incredible things they allow me to do. Here is my new mantra, when it comes to possessions:

If you value what you have, then give it a home, or stop pretending you need it.

Is it asking too much of ourselves to own only what we have the capacity to respect? Most of us own far more than we have the energy and patience to really own.

Getting rid of things is such a freeing experience. I’ve cut my possessions in about half over the last two weeks, and there is much more to do.

Owning things has a cost, and money is the least of it

I’ll get into this more in an upcoming post, but there is a host of psychological costs to every thing we keep, especially if those things exist in a state of disorder. Clutter just feels bad to be around. As I continue to toss and donate, I’m witnessing some dramatic changes in my life.

My sleep is markedly better-quality. I stay asleep longer and dream deeper. I get up earlier and I’m never tired before bedtime.

I’m much more organized. I no longer drag my feet when it comes to errands or work. I eat at the table (the dinner one, not the coffee one) and I always clean up before bed.

Rooms take about five minutes each to clean now. Somehow, it used to take half a Saturday to clean my apartment.

Every possession I get rid of makes the others more useful. There’s less in the way, less on my mind, less ugly plastic crap, less to dilute my gratitude.

Eliminating Homelessness in my Home – Raptitude Experiment No. 9

I’m going room-to-room, closet-to-closet, getting rid of anything I am not prepared to use, properly service, and give a permanent home. With all this technology, I have so much power at my disposal it’s the least I could do.

Once I’ve decided what stays, I have to give each item a proper home — a place where it is properly “away.” If I can’t find a good home for it, I am not worthy of owning it and must give it up.

Every night, I will put every single thing I own to bed.

I’m giving myself 30 days from today, which is more than enough time. You can track my progress on the experiment page, which will be up tomorrow.

I urge you to join me, and eliminate homelessness from your home. I imagine your poor, unemployed stuff would too, if it had a voice.

Photo by Striatic

This and 16 other classic Raptitude articles can be found in This Will Never Happen Again. Now available for your e-reader, mobile device, or PC. See reviews here.

This will never happen again cover

Learn to live in the present

Everyday mindfulness has transformed my life, and has for countless others. You can use it to reduce stress, deal calmly with trouble, and experience joy and peace throughout each day. Making it a habit is easier than you probably think. Learn how.

Andy Parsons January 31, 2011 at 1:07 am

I wanted to add a comment to the post after this one (the one about how to become a trillionaire) but a message appears at the bottom of the post saying comments are closed and it won’t let me add a comment.

This also happened when I wanted to add a comment to another post around Christmas. I’m just wondering if that was intentional and why?

I like this post too and as always it made me think. I just don’t have any specific comments to make on it really except that I only have a small apartment and everything in it does have a place. Even so though, there is a bit of “stuff” I could do without and I will consider getting rid of some of it.

Maria Pavel January 31, 2011 at 4:55 am

I think it’s very important to acquire only the things that you can use. Acquiring things that you don’t use are just like that, crap or useless stuff contributing to a lot of mess at home. Things are created to help us and not meant to be lying around useless.

Martin @ nanny cameras February 10, 2011 at 6:56 am

Select things not in use and why not open a bargain
sale in front of your house. You will earn extra income.
great post!

Aggie April 1, 2011 at 5:30 am

You are hereby my hero.

Serenity April 9, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I am a bit late to comment here, but I am right there with you. My journey began back around ’97, when I first became location independent, work-wise. But as a single homeschooling mom of then young children (now grown – I had then while I was quite young), I still had ‘stuff.’ We moved frequently when they were younger, and a natural disaster stripped us of most of what we owned once. Then at another point we were planning a six month trip driving and camping our way across the US when our landlord informed us he was selling the building and we would have to move – just weeks after we would have left on our trip. We opted to go anyhow, and put everything in storage. Then, a few days into our trip, we found ourselves mailing boxes of stuff back to my folks’ place. Even what we had in the car was ‘too much’ when camping our way across the country!

We vowed to never accumulate so much again! When we returned, the kids and I edited everything in our storage building, and even rented a furnished place. Yet somehow things began accumulating again. Three years later, we were again swimming in ‘stuff.’ Focused on spending a year abroad, we again edited. Now, back from that year abroad, and living back in NYC after quite a long time away, I am more settled in with work I love, and ensconced in a great community. But….I’m also taking minimalism to a new level. This week I reached a point where, other than one tall glass-doored bookcase of work-related items (of which there are only the most basic necessities), I have 137 belongings – and that includes pots & pans (counted as one item, as is silverware, but I have minimum amounts of those, too–3 pots of varying sizes, 2 pans, dishes for 4). I suppose I ‘cheat’ a bit in counting. I don’t count the furniture (but it is a sofa that converts to my bed, which stores my bedding inside it; a chair; a drop-leaf table which stores 4 chairs inside it; 2 tiny side tables; a small bench; 3 bar stools; 3 glass bookcases that house EVERYTHING including all the materials for my business – and things are arranged on them with much free space around it. For instance, one shelf holds only a printer fo rmy computer; another only a small antique jewel box; another my 3 games; another just my yoga mat). Also, items such as “Socks” only count as one, though I have 6 pair; I have a small selection of jewelry that I count as one. But the reality is, for instance, with the jewelry…I only wear a necklace, ring and bracelet. I suspect the rest of the jewelry will be gone soon.

But really, that is neither here nor there. What is truly relevant is what has been happening to me over the past 2 months as I got closer and closer to this ‘bare minimum’ point. The rate at which I have eliminated has slowed, because I am TRULY down to the end here. But…I’ve spent much time contemplating the final items I am ‘processing.’ I find myself sitting with an object and meditating on it, asking myself why I feel attached to it. I feel that I have made some of the greatest breakthroughs of my life during this particular ‘elimination’ round. I find myself lost in self-assessment as I try to determine what I realize to be rather silly attachment to some things. And…I DO allow for something to be in my life simply for the joy it brings, so it isn’t about some extreme level. Rather, I have discovered deep-seated fears and….found my way through them. ANd it was by examining the objects in my life that led me there.

Perhaps the most important thing I learned was that complexity was a wall for me, a way of preventing me from trusting in my own creativity, and my own resourcefulness. The same drive that made me hold onto an item ‘just in case I someday need it’ also drove me to avoid taking risks, rather encouraged me to ‘play it safe’ and ‘do the guaranteed thing’. Now, I’m a somewhat successful author, inventor, and game creator, and in recent years I have become a natural childbirth educator and birth douula, work I love. But….there were aspects of my Self which I’d held back. My writing success came with non-fiction, but I’ve got half finished novels here. I love to dance, but haven’t danced in ages. I love art, but haven’t done anything ‘artistic’ in longer than I could remember.

With each item that fell away, space within my being seemed to open up. And I found that the LESS MULTIPLICITY IN MY LIFE, THE MORE ROOM THERE WAS FOR TRUE CREATIVITY. When I got rid of endless boxes of unloved art supplies, and just picked up a pencil and paper, I began drawing in a serious and beautiful way. When my floor was bare and there was room, I began belly-dancing again. When I had sold off my 3 computers (including my macbook air) for a simple notebook with everything stored on the cloud and backed up on a passport drive, and my desktop was basically empty, and I had only a text editor (omm,which I’ve fallen in love with), I churned out the rest of my novel….it had sat there unloved and unattended for 3 years…but I finished it in less than 3 weeks. Go figure!

And….this extended to my work as a birth doula and childbirth educator. I found that the more I said, “No!” to complexity, to multiplicity, the more things GREW in beautiful ways. I did away with advertising, and with flyers, etc. I got down to: a business card; one brochure; one gorgeous ‘flyer’ that instead of hanging places, I put inside a beautiful ornate glass frame and asked select doctors, midwives, and stores to place on their counters….and business began to boom. Less is SO MUCH MORE!

With my diet….I got rid of cookbooks; I got rid of healthy eating schemes; I got rid of grains (I have celiac, so this wasn’t that hard, as gluten was already gone). My refrigerator now looks like it should be in a magazine. White bowls hold a variety of fruits and veggies; hard boiled eggs. I open my cupboards and a small selection of canisters contain nuts, beans, raisins, and other staples. Cooking has become SO easy! I just toss things together and eat. And we are eating healthier than ever for it! And quite honestly, I just feel so inspired to see all that open space in my cupboards and fridge, with the items I DO have in there stored so GORGEOUSLY. Big bowls of luscious fruits and veggies? WOW! SO much more attractive than them living in plastic bag from the store, or in a bin. And the glass canisters, they just put the food on display! I feel MOVED to eat healthier!

The more that falls away, the more beautiful my life is becoming, every single day. And…TRULY, the answers lie in the most elegantly simple things.

So what next? I need to de-clutter my digital life. And by that….I mean I have to delete digital photos (everything has been scanned, though I have one frame with photos of my kids on the wall). And…I have to de-clutter my ipod. I have thousands of songs on there, but listen to really only a very small percentage. And…I think I will find more joy if I eliminate the clutter in there as well. I know perhaps that sounds crazy. But what I’ve learned in other areas will apply there too, I think.

I call this ‘Addition by Subtraction.’ And it keeps proving true. The more I subtract, the greater the sum of my life. I mean…now I have so little, but I dance! I eat! I draw! I laugh! Life has become delicious beyond belief :-)

Sorry for such a long post. Just…your blog truly inspires me, and makes me want to share my story with you. And…right now, I feel I’m in such a gorgeous space…but it is scary, too. I want to get that across. Because..now there is nothing standing in the way. Now I have no more excuses. Nothing else to hide behind. Nothing else to take the place of being my creative, loving, incredible self. And….that means I have to face up to the reality of…AM I creative, loving, and incredible? And that is what is left when you strip the rest away. The Truth. Who we really are, and what we are truly capable of. And I’m there, verging on discovering those realities. And it is terrifying, frightening beyond belief…and yet so delicious, so powerful, so INCREDIBLE! And…never have I felt so ALIVE.

And if you keep eliminating things, you will reach this moment. You will feel it coming toward you, in fact. I think it sounds like you are already seeing and experiencing bits of this. And the more you eliminate, the closer it comes. For me, I felt like it was chasing me…like I could not de-clutter fast enough…and yet it happened in spurts at first. And then I re-accumulated. Then decluttered more. A long process. But OH SO WORTHWHILE.

I think. So far anyhow. Who knows? There may be some frightening times ahead, as this is life, and life can hand us some challenges, that is for certain :-) But….I feel CLEARER than ever before, and somehow….I KNOW I am able to take on whatever comes my way. I know that with a certainty deeper than any I ever possessed before I’d reached this space.

Ah, thank you for your patience, dear, dear blogger. And to that of your other readers as well. I know this comment has been incredibly long – deepest apologies. Just…I needed to share, and this post seemed like the perfect place to do so. Has anyone else reached this level? Have you experienced anything akin to what I have? I would love to hear about it.

And again, David, thank you.

Love, Joy, Peace & Light!

David April 10, 2011 at 8:07 am

That is one of the most unexpected effects I noticed: That we use stuff to hide from ourselves. When everything is clean and in it’s place, your life is right there and there’s nothing to do but live it. When there’s not clutter you can’t help but know where you’re at, and sometimes it’s more comfortable not to know, kind of like when your finances become so disorganized you’d rather not check your bank balance. I think you are right about the inverse correlation between complexity and creativity.

Serenity April 10, 2011 at 8:32 am

Good morning :-) And precisely! I am so in love with LIFE now, with everything around me. I am discovering such joy in …. nothing. Everything is contained within the possibility. I have had a strange and wonderful life. At times I have had ‘nothing’ in terms of losing ‘everything’ after a natural disaster (which led to my realizing what didn’t matter whatsoever), and in terms of having well, almost anything I wanted: staying in the best hotels, traveling the world, learning to fly airplanes, one time engagement to a world-famous individual in their field/child of a celebrity, etc. I have befriended homeless people, and some of the greatest minds of our time. And yet…NEVER…have I felt so deliciously happy as I do now, with my minimalist life. And never have I felt richer. And…my social circle has become (intentionally) much smaller, and yet, feels so much richer. Due to that inverse correlation between complexity and creativity, mind you. I also discovered: it isn’t so much who the friends are, or what talents they possess, but in the willingness each of you has to go deep, to explore, and to BE. It is who and how individual beings can BE together, when all else falls away.

Life is so beautiful! And so are you, David. Thank you for your continued efforts on this delicious blog.

Nathan K June 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Most people desire more order in their lives; they think “if only I could get more organized, I would be happier.” Often times this obsession with order comes from the fear of chaos. If one wishes to be truly content, one must not fear chaos.

For a very light read that offers an interesting perspective on life, I recommend “The Art of Being: Recapturing the Self” by Catherine Laroze (ISBN 1584794054). I stumbled upon it randomly at my local library, and it can be had for very cheap online.

Toni R October 8, 2011 at 1:26 am

As I’ve cleaned the stuff from my life, I’ve found some surprising results in other areas. My budget is smaller and more streamlined, my car is emptied and cleaned more often, even the garden is weeded once in awhile. I don’t shop as much anymore since I have most everything I need. The chaos is largely gone (at least most days) and my stress is kept to a minimum. I now live in a little 700 sq ft house because that’s all I need.

Even so, I’m still surrounding myself with the things I truly love. I felt somewhat guilty about that until you pointed out the difference between stuff and things. Thank you for that important distinction. My books, my teacups, my laptop, my string bass are all things I love and would never part with. They aren’t clutter. They are the things I use everyday. It’s fine to keep them close. I just need to remember to find a place for them and treat them right.

David October 8, 2011 at 9:23 am

Thats so great. What a difference it makes in everything else. Thanks for sharing this Toni.

Julian McNally October 16, 2011 at 1:25 am

Congratulations on a great blog (and life, I guess) David. I trawled around and will comment on a few of your other posts when I have time, but wanted to say for now I really appreciate this one. Ties in well with “Master the GTD system” from your list.

Also brings to mind a Steven Wright two-liner:
“You can’t have it all.
Anyway, where would you keep it?”

Leslie Hood October 19, 2011 at 7:48 am

I really like this post. It sings to the Buddhist course I’m studying right now. The second precept or teaching in Buddhism is “not to steal.” I couldn’t figure out how this applied in my life; I’m an honest person. But it also means acquiring stuff (vs. things, which even the Buddha had) because the corporate system steals other people’s liberty and independence to produce cheap consumer goods. A quote: “Unto Tahinen says there are only two ways of avoiding war. The first is to satisfy everyone’s desires; the second, to content oneself with the good. The first is impossible due to the limitations of the world and therefore leaves this second alternative of contentment.” Thanks for your work, David, it is much appreciated.

Michael November 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm

This is very interesting to read, partially because I have often thought about this in the past and acted upon it. I keep my possessions to a minimum – I don’t even had a bed! (Just a matress on the floor).
I find that life is much easier with less items to worry about. It’s like you once said, David. ‘The less possessions you have, the more they do for you’. Wise, wise words.

Jason January 7, 2012 at 6:41 pm

When you hang on to things, you never move forward. I was involved in the past for years. I would not get rid of anything until I found a (person)home for the items. I was under so much stress with my belongings. I live in a small condo and had no room for the things that matter. I was spend endless weekends trying to locate a person that wanted my items. Sometimes, I would leave in bags items on people’s door hoping that they would find a home in their unit. They items I speak of were quality items, not junk you throw out. But now my life is different. When I turned 40 I woke-up to reality! My life was passing by and I had no fun out of it. I packed loads of stuff and gave away to the goodwill and have not regard it one bid. I kept telling myself did you miss any of it? Answer: No. I moved forward because I was able to read blogs like this to help me move forward to a better life. I currently live in the present. Thank you to all you bloggers, writers for this reality check.

margaret January 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Thank you for your encouragement … when we have less, we have more.

Jessica January 9, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Good article, or post. I agree. However, if you throw children into the mix, somehow your space is no longer your own. Watch things multiply! No control! I dejunk rabidly, but you have to save things to pass down to the next one. That, in a way, becomes minimal–saving things to use at a later date instead of re-consume. Anyway, after dejunking a couple of weeks ago, I will definitely be at it again after reading this post-icle. My husband and I intend on consuming experiences with our children, instead of things. If you have any ideas on organizing and dejunking things of a filing nature, get on it!

Steve January 31, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I have a lot of stuff. I don’t hang on to it. Instead I think of myself as the intermediary between where it was and where it should be. My ears are always open for someone in need of something that I can give them. I take it in for free and give it for free

Justin February 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Great post. You’ve inspired me to clean the clutter.

Kristin April 26, 2012 at 12:40 am

Needed to see this. Thank you!

Lois August 27, 2012 at 11:39 pm

David, I have recently found your blog and enjoy what I’ve been reading so far. When I got to this article, it really resounded with me and how I’ve been living. I’ve just nominated you for the beautiful blogger award as a result.

Jason Glover January 29, 2013 at 4:08 pm

This is the second article of yours I’ve read – it won’t be the last. The subjects you are touching on are real solid gold.

I LOVE getting rid of stuff; I started a few years ago after separating from my wife of 9 years. Looking back I realized that I’d become a hoarder of stuff. Since then I’ve been ditching Stuff like crazy and concentrating more and more on Things.

Jason Hartgrave February 4, 2013 at 8:19 am

The real kicker will be when you apply this thinking down into your phone and your computer, clearing out old files, orphaned emails, and obsolete programs. Those apps you download on the phone and never open again, and the list goes on. I think of all the receipts and papers I accumulate in my car, and suddenly I am feeling like a “hoarder.”

karin February 14, 2013 at 6:27 am

OMG. I’m leaving Burma after 9 years and having to ship stuff home. I’ve got so much ‘stuff’…eik! But my next posting has only a 2 suitcase policy… Busy decluttering and it feels good. Stuff keeps me chained. Bought a house I can’t possibly live in for 2 years…so now have to find someone to look out for the place….headache!

Jeremy March 28, 2013 at 10:59 am

We got rid of nearly everything we owned before we started traveling full time. I thought that we didn’t have much stuff, but when you actually go through the process of selling, donating, and discarding, it is amazing how many things we accumulated without a conscious effort

Now everything fits in a couple backpacks and we still have more stuff than we need

Dawn June 7, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Hooray for your beautifully written post!! I already shared it on my FB biz page.

I’m a personal organizer and what you wrote is exactly what I’ve been telling my clients for years. The clutter of stuff affects you in so many ways. It’s not just about time wasted searching for things or throwing $$$ away. It runs much deeper. Thank you for sharing!!

“Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.” -William Morris

fabe June 12, 2013 at 6:23 am

Hi,
Wonderful article. I don’t know if anyone has already mention this, but I have an other way of reducing stuff and be more concious in my consumtion.
I called it 2 for 1. Every time I want to buy something new I have to give away two of the same kind, either to charity or a friend. So if I want to buy a new pair of shoes I really have to consider if the new pair will be more useful to me than 2 of the pairs I already have. And then I can’t buy the new shoes before I have found new homes for the other 2. So in this way I have eliminated impulse shopping for stuff. It might go slower than your method, but it changes your way of thinking about the thing you own and their importance.

//fabe

Angela July 22, 2013 at 12:26 pm

It’s so hard for me to get rid of “stuff” because I always think I’m going to use it someday. This article inspired me to work on clearing out the clutter. I hope I can stay motivated!

Ulrika August 23, 2013 at 10:27 am

Today I didn’t have to pick up the kid from daycare do I had some time on my hands. I sat down in the park to ponder what I most wanted to do. There was really nothing urgent so I could choose. I realized what I most wanted to do was go home and throw out a lot of things around the house. However, I stopped for a coffee while biking home (actually tea and rhubarb youghurt). And thought I’d look at this blog which I’m quite new to, maybe a week only. And this article came up! Now that’s serendipity! Am now off to go home and throw out “stuff”! :-) Love this blog!!

sunny September 1, 2013 at 5:52 am

Well said. Changed my thinking about a few areas in my home. I know which items are “things” and which are merely just “stuff”. I want to find homes for everything!

Two years ago, I too narrowed my breakfast choice down to one: a healthy smoothie. then if I crave any breakfast food items, I’ll have them for lunch or dinner.

Am new to your blog (found it via Becoming Minimalist) and will now explore your other posts.

Nick October 26, 2013 at 8:37 am

Well, having read this post I am quite literally ashamed of myself. Although I would never admit to being a hoader – it looks as if that is what I truly am.

I buy everything in 2′s sometimes 3′s. I have an obsession with collecting things, currently multitols. How many??, at the last count it was fast approaching 400!! I simply buy, open, put away…buy, open, put away…buy, open, put away…etc etc. On the rare occasion I do get them all out, I feel utterly miserable and vow to never buy another. but before the week is out there is always something else on it’s way.

Why I am like this, I have no idea. As a child my mother and father were very aloof as to my being there, as in not many cuddles, not much love and not many toys. Now in my 40′s living with my partner for the past 17yrs we have a 6yr old son who I absolutely adore. Yet I still buy stuff, either for me or my son…especially my son. I want him to have a childhood I never had. My partner, although knows I hoard, turns a blind eye to it.

But as much as a hoader as I am, I am intently tightfisted, the thought of “lining someone’s pocket” fills me with dread, so half the time I will do without but yet then spend it, sorry..waste it on more pointless stuff!!

I really need to declutter, really do. But no-one has ever given me anything, everything I own is from sacrifice or hard work, so why should I give it to someone else. Same with the rubbish tip, take stuff there and the guys say “put that to one side pal”, so I’m then basically lining their pockets as it will probably be sold at the carboot come next weekend!!

If I could press a magic button and all but the bare necessities disappeared – I’d press it in a heartbeat!!

We have a lovely house and thanks to both of us being focused during the early years it’s now paid off, we are totally debt free, which means more money to waste.

But having read this post, I see that I’m not alone, nor am I at fault. Modern living comes at a price that we are all only just beginning to realise.

I’m going to attempt to shift 50% of what I own within the next 3 months be it in rubbish bin or the online auction sites. I am determined I will sort myself out.

kate December 31, 2013 at 11:42 am

this is a great posting…..but now, really……tell me the difference between stuff and things…=)

How To Make Coffee April 24, 2014 at 8:05 pm

” But soon in 17th century it became a part of ceremonies involving the Ottoman court where coffee makers with the help of assistants ceremoniously prepared and served coffee for the sultan. To make a good cup of coffee it is best to start with bottled or filtered water (but avoid processed “soft” water or distilled water). Packaging with venting systems means that the beans can be packaged as soon as they cool.

Samantha May 12, 2014 at 3:53 am

I read this blogpost a long long time ago and it has always stuck. I have looked at things in a different way and am in the process of purging my home from stuff, so it changed my life for the better. Thank you for sharing your words with me and tons of other people.

Skip Hire June 6, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Awesome blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download
it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple tweeks
would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your design.
Cheers