Christmas Alone

Marahau 3 040

I set out two days before Christmas

To beach-walk the holidays through,

Bunking with twenty-three strangers

Who relished to be alone too.

Happy with nature’s fine company,

No need for the trappings of home,

We twenty-four souls would be grateful –

Together by being on our own.

Well, nothing is quite as expected:

Twenty-three souls having fun

Belonged each to couples and families;

I, the sole party of one.

I left on the day before Christmas

Not onward, but back to the start

To friends, Swiss and English and German

Prior with whom I did part.

A Christmas Day dinner of pasta

Instead of dried fruit on its own,

And a table of young solo travelers

Who thought they’d spend Christmas alone.

Merry Christmas, wherever you are, whoever you’re with.  – D.

Learn to live in the present

Everyday mindfulness has transformed my life, and has for countless others. You can use it to reduce stress, deal calmly with trouble, and experience joy and peace throughout each day. Making it a habit is easier than you probably think. Learn how.

Char (PSI Tutor:Mentor) December 25, 2009 at 3:36 am

cool poem~

I’m on my own too this Christmas, but that is not unusual for me. My elves and angels all have four paws~

Merry Christmas
.-= Char (PSI Tutor:Mentor)´s last blog ..What are the Research Findings on Projective Tests? =-.

David December 25, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Friends need not be human :)

Merry Christmas Char!

Matthew Michael December 25, 2009 at 6:57 am

Hahah, love the poem =), for New Years I request a haiku! =p

The only reason why Santa Clause is so darn jolly is cause he knows where all the naughty girls live…that elf loving perv!

Merry Christmas To You Too! =D
.-= Matthew Michael´s last blog ..Reflected Puddles Of Thought Our Fragile Hearts Must Be =-.

David December 25, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Once I get started on Haiku I can’t stop, so I think I might prefer not to open that can of worms at all. Maybe after some wine…

Lisis December 25, 2009 at 10:12 am

Merry Christmas, David! If it makes you feel any better… WE MISS YOU!!!

.-= Lisis´s last blog ..All I Want For Christmas Is… =-.

David December 25, 2009 at 3:09 pm

I miss you too Lis! Feliz Navidad!

I’ll remain nomadic for another two months or so, then I hope to make a smashing return to our blogging ‘hood.

Alex December 25, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Merry Christmas!

David December 25, 2009 at 11:38 pm

Merry Christmas Alex

Tina December 26, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Merry Christmas David! I hope you had an enjoyable day:)

David December 27, 2009 at 8:44 pm

I did. I cut my five-day walk short by three days and spent those days enjoying the company of my new friends. It was perfect. Hope your Christmas was great too Tina.
.-= David´s last blog ..Christmas Alone =-.

Kim Lianne December 27, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Hi again David :)
So nice to hear your voice on boxing day! I am glad that you made merry in the far away places and are enjoying your new comrades.
I knew there was a poet in you yet–from one to another, I am impressed with your prose. We also really enjoyed viewing your latest photos and tales.
All the best and I hope you enjoy ringing in 2010 wherever you are and whoever you’re with…
*hug*

David December 27, 2009 at 8:47 pm

So good to talk to you too. Like I said, I was even missing fruitcake somehow (fruitcake!) and to talk to someone back in a busy Christmasy household back in snowy Canada really made me feel a little more at home. Enjoy your New Year too. This last year was a pretty good one wasn’t it :)
.-= David´s last blog ..Christmas Alone =-.

Nea | Self Improvement Saga December 31, 2009 at 2:04 am

My Christmas alone was relaxing and peaceful. I definitely made the best of it. And now…. Happy New Year to you.
.-= Nea | Self Improvement Saga´s last blog ..The Tranquility of Aloneness Without Loneliness =-.

Katja Tremp March 25, 2013 at 1:50 pm

David, I know, it’s ages ago….however, it was great spending Christmas with you!! And as I told you ages ago….there will always be a spare bed for you – in Switzerland!!

David March 25, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Katja! That was a wonderful Christmas and I’ll never forget it. I will make it to Switzerland soon. Europe is on my mind… If not in 2014 then the next year.

Katja Tremp March 26, 2013 at 12:45 am

Cool, I’m looking forward to seeing you in 2014!!