88 Important Truths I’ve Learned About Life

Post image for 88 Important Truths I’ve Learned About Life

Everyone gets drilled with certain lessons in life. Sometimes it takes repeated demonstrations of a given law of life to really get it into your skull, and other times one powerful experience drives the point home once forever. Here are 88 things I’ve discovered about life, the world, and its inhabitants by this point in my short time on earth.

1. You can’t change other people, and it’s rude to try.

2. It is a hundred times more difficult to burn calories than to refrain from consuming them in the first place.

3. If you’re talking to someone you don’t know well, you may be talking to someone who knows way more about whatever you’re talking about than you do.

4. The cheapest and most expensive models are usually both bad deals.

5. Everyone likes somebody who gets to the point quickly.

6. Bad moods will come and go your whole life, and trying to force them away makes them run deeper and last longer.

7. Children are remarkably honest creatures until we teach them not to be.

9. Yelling always makes things worse.

11. Every problem you have is your responsibility, regardless of who caused it.

12. You never have to deal with more than one moment at a time.

13. If you never doubt your beliefs, then you’re wrong a lot.

14. Managing one’s wants is the most powerful skill a person can learn.

15. Nobody has it all figured out.

16. Cynicism is far too easy to be useful.

17. Every passing face on the street represents a story every bit as compelling and complicated as yours.

18. Whenever you hate something, it hates you back: people, situations and inanimate objects alike.

19. Ralph Waldo Emerson’s works alone can teach you everything you need to know about living with grace and happiness.

20. People embellish everything, as a rule.

21. Anger reveals weakness of character, violence even moreso.

22. Humans cannot destroy the planet, but we can destroy its capacity to keep us alive.  And we are.

23. When people are uncomfortable with the present moment, they fidget with their hands or their minds.  Watch and see.

24. Those who complain the most, accomplish the least.

25. Putting something off makes it instantly harder and scarier.

26. Credit card debt devours souls.

27. Nobody knows more than a minuscule fraction of what’s going on in the world. It’s just way too big for any one person to know it well.

28. Most of what we see is only what we think about what we see.

29. A person who is unafraid to present a candid version of herself to the world is as rare as diamonds.

30. The most common addiction in the world is the draw of comfort. It wrecks dreams and breaks people.

32. The greatest innovation in the history of humankind is language.

33. Blame is the favorite pastime of those who dislike responsibility.

34. Everyone you meet is better than you at something.

35. Proof is nothing but a collection of opinions that match your own.

36. Knowledge is belief, nothing more.

37. Indulging your desires is not self-love.

38. What makes human beings different from animals is that animals can be themselves with ease.

39. Self-examination is the only path out of misery.

40. Whoever you are, you will die. To know and understand that means you are alive.

41. Revenge is for the petty and irresponsible.

42. Getting truly organized can vastly improve anyone’s life.

43. Almost every cliché contains a truth so profound that people have been compelled to repeat it until it makes you roll your eyes. But the wisdom is still in there.

44. People cause suffering when they are suffering themselves. Alleviating their suffering will help them not hurt others.

45. High quality is worth any quantity, in possessions, friends and experiences.

46. The world would be a better place if everyone read National Geographic.

47. If you aren’t happy single, you won’t be happy in a relationship.

48. Even if it costs no money, nothing is free if it takes time.

49. Emotions exist to make us strongly biased towards or against something. This hinders as often as it helps.

50. Addiction is a much greater problem in society than it’s made out to be. It’s present in every person in various forms, but usually we call it something else.

51. “Gut feeling” is not just a euphemism. Tension in the abdomen speaks volumes about how you truly feel about something, beyond all arguments and rationales.

52. Posture and dress change profoundly how you feel about yourself and how others feel about you, like it or not.

53. Everyone thinks they’re an above average driver.

54. The urge to punish others has much more to do with venting frustration than correcting behavior.

55. By default, people think far too much.

56. If anything is worth splurging on, it’s a high-quality mattress. You’ll spend a third of your life using it.

57. There is nothing worse than having no friends.

58. To write a person off as worthless is an act of great violence.

59. Try as we might to be otherwise, we are all hypocrites.

60. Justice is a human invention which is in reality rarely achievable, but many will not hesitate to destroy lives demanding it.

61. Kids will usually understand exactly what you mean if you keep it to one or two short sentences.

62. Stuff that’s on sale usually has an annoying downside.

63. Casual swearing makes people sound dumb.

64. Words are immensely powerful. One cruel remark can wound someone for life.

65. It’s easy to make someone’s day just by being uncommonly pleasant to them.

66. Most of what children learn from their parents isn’t taught on purpose.

67. The secret ingredient is usually butter, in obscene amounts.

68. It is worth re-trying foods that you didn’t like at first.

69. Problems, when they arise, are rarely as painful as the experience of fearing them.

70. Nothing — ever — happens exactly like you pictured it.

71. North Americans are generally terrible at accepting compliments and offers of help.

72. There are not enough women in positions of power. The world has suffered from this deficit for a long time.

73. When you break promises to yourself, you feel terrible. When you make a habit of it, you begin to hate yourself.

74. A good nine out of ten bad things I’ve worried about never happened. A good nine out of ten bad things that did happen never occurred to me to worry about.

75. You can’t hide a bad mood from people who know you well, but you can always be polite.

76. Sometimes you have to remove certain people from your life, even if they’re family.

77. Anyone can be calmed in an instant by looking at the ocean or the stars.

80. Breaking new ground only takes a small amount more effort than you’re used to giving.

81. Life is a solo trip, but you’ll have lots of visitors. Some of them are long-term, most aren’t.

82. One of the best things you can do for your kids is take them on road trips. I’m not a parent, but I was a kid once.

83. The fewer possessions you have, the more they do for you.

84. Einstein was wiser than he was intelligent, and he was a genius.

85. When you’re sick of your own life, that’s a good time to pick up a book.

86. Wishing things were different is a great way to torture yourself.

87. The ability to be happy is nothing other than the ability to come to terms with how things change.

88. Killing time is an atrocity. It’s priceless, and it never grows back.

Photo by Philgarlic

Sherri (Serene Journey) July 2, 2009 at 7:23 am

Fabulous list! There are waaay too many good ones here to list out all my favorites.

But I do like “66. Most of what children learn from their parents isn’t taught on purpose.” As I get older I learn that my folks actually do know what they’re talking about and are smarter than what I gave them credit for when I was a lot younger. :) Just don’t tell them that. ;)

Oh and I’m a waaaay better driver than most people on the roads right now. ;)
.-= Sherri (Serene Journey)´s last blog ..Create Experiences: Gifts That Can Last A Lifetime =-.

Jimmy March 18, 2013 at 11:13 am

This is a really good read for almost anyone. All are amazingly true, especially # 66
When I was a teen I thought my parents (all grown-ups) were stupid. When I actually became an adult, I was amazed how smart grown-ups had became in just a few years.

Lisis July 2, 2009 at 7:33 am

Wow! OK… now all I need is for you to write a post on EACH of these aphorisms, and we’ll be all set! Seriously, here are your next 88 topics; they’re fantastic! My top three:

2. It is 100 times more difficult to burn calories than to refrain from consuming them in the first place.

->> This is my daily mantra. ‘Nuff said.

11. Every problem you have is your responsibility, regardless of who caused it.

->> This is what I try to teach Hunter when his playdates go awry, “Sure this kid did something awful, but how YOU handle it makes all the difference in how this day is going to turn out.”

32. The greatest innovation in the history of humankind is language.

->> I’m going to have to go with the printing press. Language lets us communicate thoughts and discoveries, but the printing press allows The Great Conversation to continue throughout the ages… maybe the internet is the new printing press?
.-= Lisis´s last blog ..Growing Up on the Road Less Traveled =-.

Lori July 2, 2009 at 9:09 am

Bravo, David, well said!

I enjoyed the image you used for this post. It sums up nicely how light, angle, and observation skews the image. It all depends on how you look at it. ; )

When I started to comment to your post, I hadn’t planned to commit to any specific “thing” on your list, but I couldn’t omit that #72 and #81 has particular resonance with me. Agreed!

Positively Present July 2, 2009 at 9:45 am

I LOVE this post! You’ve shared so many great things here — both about the world and about yourself. I have to disagree with this one: “Everyone thinks they’re an above average driver” because I’m pretty sure I’m a bad driver. That, or everyone just TELLS me I’m a bad driver (which would be pretty weird, wouldn’t it?). Hahaha. GREAT post and list!
.-= Positively Present´s last blog ..life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness =-.

David July 2, 2009 at 10:52 am

Sherri — I discovered that about my parents too; they were very smart about what they taught us and didn’t teach us. BTW I am a way better driver than most people too, there’s really no question about that :)

Lisis — Glad you liked it! You’re right, this list does represent a gold mine for post ideas. I’ve written about maybe five or six of them already.

I think the internet IS the new printing press. It’s never been easier to spread information. But both of them require language to be of any use.

Lori — Yes what a great image, I wish I took it myself. #72 is one of my favorites from this list, I think more female perspectives in business and politics would temper a lot of humanity’s bad habits (war, greed, partisan politics.)

Dani — Haha… ‘everybody’ is usually a bit of an exaggeration. I knew there would be readers who would declare that they are NOT above average drivers.

Rev. T. Monkey July 2, 2009 at 10:55 am

Howdy David,

I’ve forwarded this post to friends and family. It’s a real goldmine, and a brilliant example of how aphorisms rock.

Just keep swimming,
Rev. Monkey
.-= Rev. T. Monkey´s last blog ..Two salient comments on the passing of Michael Jackson =-.

Srinivas Rao July 2, 2009 at 11:02 am

This is a great list. Lots of valuable insights in them.
.-= Srinivas Rao´s last blog ..5 simple ways to invest and succeed when you’re unemployed =-.

Shawn July 2, 2009 at 11:05 am

How did you come up with this? This is truly enlightening! I read the Dao everyday, and many of these quotes can be directly related to its verses.. Great stuff!

David July 2, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Rev. T Monkey — Great, thanks Reverend. I definitely have a thing for aphorisms.

Srinivas — Thank you sir.

Shawn — I’ve been keeping a running list for a while now. I’ll probably do a sequel; I would hope I’ve learned more than 88 things by now :)

Mikey March 27, 2010 at 12:17 am

I’ve got one you can add to your next list: “Happiness isn’t real unless it is shared.” Got that quote from Into The Wild, such a good movie.

David March 27, 2010 at 1:55 am

I remember that from the movie. I’m not sure I believe it though. I have had many moments of pure happiness that I have never shared with anyone. They could not be expressed anyway.
.-= David´s last blog ..40 Belief-Shaking Remarks From a Ruthless Nonconformist =-.

Teia Hassey July 2, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Is this true? I have no energy to be fake. LOL

Cheers!
.-= Teia Hassey´s last blog ..Finding Your True Self =-.

David May 21, 2010 at 11:09 am

Well, people tend to always hide things, at least imo. I try to be real but I can’t tell everyone everything and I notice myself embellishing things by tiny amounts and it’s almost like I can’t help it. Plus, things not to sound as awesome when it’s real. I don’t know if everyone’s like that… I feel it as extremely natural so I fight against it.

Regardless, almost everyone tends to have something to hide; be it mental problems like OCD, past issues like anger, sexual orientation or even religious beliefs. It’s just how our society makes it and it’s hard to be more than a little different.

Alison | Quest for Balance July 2, 2009 at 6:16 pm

I’ll have to go back to read this list in more detail… but the first thing that grabbed me was the number 88, which will always remind me of the song “88 Lines About 44 Women.” : )

Barb July 2, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Yes, yes, yes! 88 posts and 88 t-shirts! I’d buy numbers 9 and 15, for a start!
.-= Barb´s last blog ..A Short Story to Keep You Entertained =-.

Tina July 2, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Thanks, David. I needed to be reminded of some of your points. I must say that I cracked up at number 67:) Take care!

Carlos Miceli July 2, 2009 at 7:51 pm

I’m speechless. This is what blogging should be about.
I’m sending you a DM now man.
Kudos to you for this amazing list.
.-= Carlos Miceli´s last blog ..Goal Shifting =-.

David July 2, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Teia — Then you are a rare creature :)

Alison — Listening to that song right now on Youtube. I hadn’t heard it before, it’s hilarious. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWWpUmRlkRc

Barb — Haha! 88 t-shirts, great idea. Collect them all!

Tina — Thanks Tina. It’s butter if you’re at a good restaurant, margarine if you’re not. :)

Carlos — Hey thanks Carlos, glad you liked it. I’d love it if you’d pass the list along to someone else who’d appreciate it.

Nate St. Pierre July 2, 2009 at 9:48 pm

#78. There is no point finishing a book you aren’t enjoying. Life is too short for that. Swallow your pride and put it down for good, unfinished.

Amen to this, man. Same with finishing that double cheeseburger. You already lost the money, no reason to lose the time as well.
.-= Nate St. Pierre´s last blog ..People Who Rock =-.

Rosa July 2, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Wow, so much wisdom in here, I love lists like this. I always struggle with #78, I feel guilty when I don’t finish a book because I feel like a quitter, but I guess if I’m not really interested, it’s not worth it, right?
Thanks, this is awesome!
.-= Rosa´s last blog ..Yo me río! – I laugh! =-.

Stuart July 3, 2009 at 2:39 am

What an awesome collection of wisdom, better than that Baz Lurman song…
.-= Stuart´s last blog ..How to Be Creative =-.

David July 3, 2009 at 6:41 am

Nate and Rosa — These days I put down most of the books I start, and I’m proud of it. There’s always another great book waiting for me, if the author can’t keep me interested, then I fire him on the spot. I used to feel like a quitter, but now I just feel like I’m protecting my precious time from my pride.

Nate, you are so right about the cheeseburger. I was raised not to ‘waste’ food, but if you don’t want it it’s wasted anyway, might as well not consume that waste.

Stuart — Ha! Thanks Stuart. “Wear Sunscreen” is a classic, I love it. And thanks for linking me.

Mark Hanselich July 3, 2009 at 7:01 am

I really enjoyed reading this and I think I did also learn something. Great blog, David.
.-= Mark Hanselich´s last blog ..The Fitness Equation =-.

John July 3, 2009 at 9:49 am

Great list David. I hung on to every word. It’s as if I didn’t want this blog post to end. I can tell you invested an immense amount of time on this list.

Kudos to you. I loved it.

David July 3, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Thanks guys!

I will do a sequel once I learn a few more things about life :)

Raphael August 12, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, instead its about learning how to dance in the rain!!

To enjoy the rainbow you must endure the rain.

Amazing stuff David, keep em coming

Lisis July 4, 2009 at 9:01 am

You’d better hurry on your sequel. Don’t forget that as we age, we know less and less about life. If you want all the answers, you’ll have to ask someone who hasn’t reached 25… they’ve got the world all figured out (as far as they know).

;)
.-= Lisis´s last blog ..Fellowship Fridays: Dealing with Special Needs =-.

Rosa July 4, 2009 at 10:08 am

@Lisis Well, that`s great news for me :) Excuse me as I go prepare an anti-aging potion or something :P (See? I have it all figured out)
.-= Rosa´s last blog ..Yo me río! – I laugh! =-.

Trey - Swollen Thumb Entertainment July 4, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I like 34. Everyone has a forte and a main talent, and we can learn something from everyone we meet!

I also believe 47. You have to be happy as a single to be happy in a relationship. Otherwise you are just putting a bandage on your emotional wound.

And finally 67 made me me laugh. Obscene amounts of butter? lol, it sounds like you’ve been watching Paula Deen!
.-= Trey – Swollen Thumb Entertainment´s last blog ..Your Comment Is Awaiting Moderation =-.

Nadia - Happy Lotus July 4, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Finally after a week of not getting access to your site, it finally worked with another browser. Yay!

Great list and there are so many that I loved. The one that sticks out at this moment is the one about how the casual swearing makes people look dumb. That is so true. I have often heard guys at work engage in conversation that had more curses than insight and I always have found it strange. I am glad I am not alone! :)
.-= Nadia – Happy Lotus´s last blog ..The Detachment Myth =-.

David July 4, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Lisis — Uh oh, if the clock is ticking I better get writing before senility starts kicking in. I think sometimes less knowledge means more wisdom, but I may just be going batty in my old age.

Trey — I do a pretty bad job at remembering 34 sometimes, but when I do it really helps me become less judgmental. As the old Buddhist precept goes: “meet everyone on equal ground.”

Nadia — Hooray! It’s Nadia, having escaped from Microsoft’s online prison. ;)

Casual swearing seems to be contagious almost. In my profession, sometimes office-dwelling engineers have to be out at constructions sites talking to hardened contractors, and it’s funny to see them suddenly throwing around casual f-bombs in regular sentences, like it’s a flu or something. I am not entirely immune either :)

Trevor July 5, 2009 at 9:11 am

I love these little tips. So often when I am going through my routine, I can forget to be happy, or to think of other, it is nice to have a reminder of what is important!

Stephen - Rat Race Trap July 5, 2009 at 1:04 pm

David, WOW! 88? OK, they are great but there are too many for me to comprehend.

“You can’t change other people, and it’s rude to try.”

I’ve got to say that first one is so important. Can people change? Yes, but they’ve got to do it themselves and only if THEY decide they need to change. The number of relationships that are ruined because people try to change others is innumerable.
.-= Stephen – Rat Race Trap´s last blog ..Contentment =-.

Angus July 5, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Or movies or plays.

And I don’t know about swearing. I was a fundamentalist Christian for 17 years, didn’t swear once, then I got out and ‘splurged’ a bit. Now I drop the f-bomb for a variety of effects—humor, shock value, irony, to get someone’s attention, etc.—and it feels like my speech is the richer for it.

But, wtf do I know.

cheers,
Angus

prayerthegate July 5, 2009 at 5:36 pm

You put a lot of thought into this list. Great job.
.-= prayerthegate´s last blog ..Today I Am Grateful =-.

Tom Berzins July 7, 2009 at 11:07 am

david this was amazing,
every point, made me want to rush into the other room and show someone. truly great insights
i could see this as a fantastic book, with one point per page accompanied by brilliant full colour photos that captured the essence. the kind of thing you would leave on your coffee table and open to a random page when you need a little dose of wisdom.

regards,
Tom

David July 7, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Thanks Tom. You know, that’s not such a bad idea. *strokes non-existent beard*

Michael July 8, 2009 at 8:44 am

This list is awesome. I can’t wait to share this with some important people in my life. So many of these are perfect daily reminders and ones that I plan to keep in mind everyday. Thanks again!
.-= Michael´s last blog ..10 days of Inspirational Quotes & Thoughts: Day 5 =-.

Amanda July 8, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I really liked 58-60 (on labeling people worthless, being hypocrites, and ruining lives in the pursuit of justice). Out of curiosity, is this list presented in the order that you thought of each item? I’d be interested to know how your mind wandered from one to another. Then again, I think too much XD

Northwest Guy July 14, 2009 at 10:59 pm

What an excellent list! I particularly enjoyed (and agreed with) #74.

David July 15, 2009 at 6:32 am

Thanks Northwest guy, #74 is one of my favorites too.

zencontrol.net July 16, 2009 at 12:32 am

Good compilation. I liked “Children are remarkably honest creatures until we teach them not to be.”
.-= zencontrol.net´s last blog ..Enjoy Happy Relationships – Avoid These 10 Things =-.

David August 3, 2009 at 10:51 am

Thanks. They always say exactly what they’re thinking, until adults tell them that that isn’t appropriate.

Steve August 3, 2009 at 10:35 pm

David,
Was having a just another ordinary day when I stumbled upon your site. I can’t seem to find the right words to describe so I will just say this is awesome and worth the time to send to family and friends. I especially liked reading everyone’s comments and discovering their blogs. But what most impressed me is that you took the time to REPLY to their comments!!! That says alot. I am a subscriber now, Thanks.

David August 3, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Hey thanks Steve, it means a lot to me to hear that you want to share this with people.

I value my readers very much and love to chat with them. Many of them do run great blogs! If you’re on Twitter you should hit me up. :)

robb August 9, 2009 at 11:28 am

great points u have there.
but i don’t think this one “Sometimes you have to remove certain people from your life, even if they’re family.” really shapes a personality imho.
.-= robb´s last blog ..Basic photography: understanding Shutter =-.

David August 9, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Yes, that is a controversial one. Many hold blood relations as sacred. But I’ve heard too many stories of people compromising their dreams and lives to appease unpleasable parents, or people who put up with abuse just because they think it is wrong to cut ties with a family member. We don’t choose our family members; some individuals may very well be not good for us, related or not.

KurtMC December 14, 2012 at 6:01 am

I agree. My mother, love her, but as she has gotten older she has become meaner and more demanding and all around diva. My energy & time is just wasted trying to appease her every need.

XiaoMa August 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm

This post is great! Thank you for your insight and wisdom :)
.-= XiaoMa´s last blog ..xiaoma•miami =-.

linda bartram August 12, 2009 at 7:51 am

They are all good; but there is a difference between knowing them, and using them. Rationally, we know they; but can we use them?

David August 12, 2009 at 11:28 am

That’s a great question. Each person is going to have to decide if it’s true in their own world first of all, and then figure out what that means to them in terms of how they’re going to live or conduct themselves. If you agree that killing time is an atrocity, then how do you feel when you watch reruns on TV, for example.

CP August 12, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Gotta tell you, #78 is patently absurd, especially if you KNOW the book is reputedly good. It’s completely in disagreement with the rest of this list that you ENCOURAGE quitting an endeavor simply because you’re finding it difficult or not enjoyable. Sometimes the wisdom in what you’re reading isn’t immediately available. I’ve almost quit on books a bunch of times, but found that the end of it made the rest well worth it. Following that advice, I may have stopped reading this list 25% of the way through because one or two of the “truths” sucked. You know? Then I would have missed the rest of the good ones. I actually enjoyed your list, I just think that one is dead wrong.

David August 12, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Wow, quite a strong reaction you had.

I wasn’t suggesting you should put a book down just because you get to a part you don’t like. But we’ve all forced ourselves to finish books simply because we started them, even if we’re halfway through and we don’t feel like they are doing anything for us. Not everyone gets the same value out of something as everyone else did.

Have you read the Bible cover to cover, in light of its strong reputation? Surely it is worth the time.

If you’re forcing yourself to finish War and Peace just because everyone says it’s so great, you are ensuring that you will not have the time to read another classic that may resonate more with you. Spending irreplaceable hours grinding through a stuffy text just because it’s supposed to be meaningful to you is something I would describe as patently absurd.

Keep in mind these are not 88 suggestions for how others should live their lives. This is just a sample of what I’ve found to be true in mine. What is true in your world may not be true for me, that was the tongue-in-cheek joke behind this whole list. Most people find they resonate with most of them; it sounds like you did too.

lawrence August 12, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Great list – some real truths in there… Hopefully i’ll be able to learn from them! The only one i struggled with was point 5 :-

“5. Everyone likes somebody who gets to the point quickly. The opposite is also true.”

When you say the opposite is also true, do you mean

a) nobody likes somebody who gets to the point quickly
b) everyone likes somebody who gets to the point slowly
or
c) nobody likes somebody who gets to the point slowly

David August 12, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Yeah I noticed that ‘opposite’ is not the right word. I should edit that. I meant, “Everybody dislikes somebody who doesn’t get to the point quickly.”

jeri August 14, 2009 at 5:47 pm

bless you—may we heed these sentiments with grace and have compassion for each other…

David August 24, 2009 at 6:31 am

Thanks Jeri!

Yee Shun Jian | RichGrad.com August 22, 2009 at 9:48 am

Hey David, this is an awesome post! I especially liked

“47. If you aren’t happy single, you won’t be happy in a relationship.”

It’s so true. A lot of people think that they will be happy once they find a boyfriend or girlfriend. But that’s just not true. They need to be happy first before they can attract a wonderful relationship.
.-= Yee Shun Jian | RichGrad.com´s last blog ..How To Make Every Day Saturday! =-.

David August 24, 2009 at 6:30 am

Thanks Yee. It’s always been true for me, I can’t imagine anyone suddenly becoming truly happy by meeting someone.

dusty August 23, 2009 at 4:26 pm

#9 should have been read before the blue lake trip!

David August 24, 2009 at 6:28 am

Hi Dust. No doubt! Yeah nothing is accomplished by raised voices. Nobody listens to yelling.

Vicki September 13, 2009 at 7:48 am

As a continual self improver, I really loved this list from you…I’ve learnt many of these things along the way in my life – and wish I knew half of them when I was really young! That’s the trials and errors of life I suppose…
.-= Vicki´s last blog ..Oooh ! Ark at Me! =-.

prince September 14, 2009 at 11:34 am

ty. these will change my life. I know it.

Walter September 19, 2009 at 12:21 am

You sir, are an idiot.

>I burn calories everyday by being alive. So does everyone else.

7. Children are remarkably honest creatures until we teach them not to be.

>Children learn to lie on their own to avoid getting in trouble, they figure out if the blame is not on them they won’t be punished.

8. If everyone in the show you’re watching is good-looking, it’s not worth watching.

>So no shows are worth watching right?

>Or maybe I care about what others think of me, like say on a job interview.

13. If you never doubt your beliefs, then you’re wrong a lot.

>I like this one, I wish more religious people heard of it.

>So inanimate objects and situations have emotions? And people I hate can read my thoughts and hate me back? Whatever you say…

22. Humans cannot destroy the planet, but we can destroy its capacity to keep us alive. And we are.

>I’m sure one day humans will have the technology to actually destroy the planet

29. A person who is unafraid to present an unedited version of herself to the world is as rare as diamonds.

>Diamonds are not rare, the diamond mining companies are controlling supply to keep prices up. Also go look on youtube and you will see plenty of “unedited” people.

>Skydiving with a parachute feels too safe… better course of action, jump with an umbrella instead!

35. Proof is nothing but a collection of opinions that match one’s own.

>Real proof is when evidence for one idea continuously disproves opposing ideas. An opinion is an idea made from personal experience. Proof is experience made into an idea.

36. Knowledge is belief, nothing more.

>From dictionary.com Knowledge is “acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from study or investigation;” So why is knowledge just a belief, when most other beliefs are unfounded, untestable, or have been disproved?

>Culture separates us from animals right? Wait don’t Gorillas, wolves, ants, bees, and other animals live in groups with their own social norms?

39. Self-examination is the only path out of misery.

>Or It can lead to OCD, anorexia, bulimia, etc.

47. If you aren’t happy single, you won’t be happy in a relationship.

>Being unhappy alone means you cannot be happy with a person who is your best friend and lover?

>I bet everyone is addicted to oxygen, you couldn’t stop if you tried!

62. Stuff that’s on sale usually has an annoying downside.

>Besides clearance stuff I don’t see where you’re coming from.

>I’d like to see the study for this, in my personal experience more expensive batteries do last longer.

80. Breaking new ground only takes a tiny amount more effort than you’re used to giving.

> Tell this to all the scientists working on cancer and fusion research.

I have procrastinated enough now, your article just annoyed me by trying to sound profound when it really isn’t. But overall I liked some things.

David September 19, 2009 at 9:34 am

I get two types of comments on this post: people who spend their time talking about the ones they agree with, and people who spend time talking about the ones they don’t.

Thank you for your time.

nobody special February 10, 2010 at 7:58 am

And you sir missed the point. If you felt there was nothing useful here why did you spend so much time dissecting it? You’re also a perfect illustration of #16.

Jenn April 10, 2010 at 2:15 pm

There are so many things that nobody special commented on that are ridiculously dissected. Such as inanimate objects hating you back. I think what he is getting at is more along the lines of what happens you get frustrated with something/don’t keep your patience with an object. Have you ever gotten impatient with a mouse/computer and when it freezes up you continue to click? Well it only making things worse.. in turn you could say that the machine hates you back. You are such an ignorant person who instead of reading this post and taking it in had to criticize almost everything that was said. I can just see already that you’re one of those miserable people out there that thinks they know everything.

David May 21, 2010 at 11:17 am

I know this is outdated but you spent way too much time TRYING to find how these things are wrong. I.E. The diamonds one was meant to say it’s rare… it just sounded better than saying something else that may be rarer than diamonds. Then you apply the new ground one to scientists, when it was specifically meant for everyday living. These things are general living that can help someone. You tried to exaggerate ALL of them to unrelated topics to which they don’t apply.

Btw, as for “13. If you never doubt your beliefs, then you’re wrong a lot.

>I like this one, I wish more religious people heard of it.”… I have a great feeling that while you “believe” in it, you don’t actually apply it. It’s okay.. I think quite a few of us went through that stage. When you start getting hormones and a lot of free time, you aren’t aware of what they’re causing. You’ll learn how to control them once you become aware of them and possibly soon.

Nicol Hebein February 9, 2011 at 2:15 am

Walter, this list never hurt anyone. In fact, this post has done more good than had he never posted at all. Was the name calling necessary? Does it make you feel better? Have you ever been called an idiot? Try putting yourself in someone else’s shoes.

Craig February 26, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Walter, try to be more compassionate with yourself. You might find that you look at your objections from a different perspective.

Nea September 20, 2009 at 10:42 am

Great list. #1 is definitely a biggie… stop trying to change other people.
.-= Nea ´s last blog ..Snapping Out of the Bad Mood Blues =-.

Leo September 21, 2009 at 1:09 am

I was with you just fine until #29: “A person who is unafraid to present an unedited version of herself to the world is as rare as diamonds.” Do you always refer to yourself with a feminine pronoun, or are you just trying to prove that you’re Oh, soooo PC that you use the feminine pronoun as the universal? I find PC speech so banal and pseudo-intellectual. Yawn!

David September 21, 2009 at 6:23 am

Why is it PC just because it’s the female pronoun? “He” is just as inaccurate as “she.” There are two possibilities, so I just picked one. So sorry to upset you.

Michael September 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm

haha, i like the last one cause i read this article to kill time.. haha

David September 24, 2009 at 6:29 am

Haha!

Char (PSI Tutor:Mentor) September 24, 2009 at 6:55 pm

So glad you directed me to this page, I love the way the list uplifts and am inspired to create my own~ thank you.

1. You can’t change other people, and it’s rude to try.

I have a Japanese housemate who makes up words and meanings when I ask how to say something in Japanese, sometimes he will make up an event happening in the city~ so basically our conversations are not real. I’ve realised that he prefers to “chew”, he is concerned with being “strong”.

I am accepting this~ and block with the Japanese I’ve looked up on the internet~ peace, joy and cheekiness. He gets more defensive.

I accept he does not want to connect, I accept this is who he wants to be and how he wants to see me as a person (as a “child”)~ I don’t have much to say to him anymore, besides, peace, joy and cheekiness :-)

Ruxandra October 1, 2009 at 11:09 am

This was a great read.

Just before leaving the office, I thought it would be fun to print it out. I highlighted what I think I could do better.

The pages are so very shiny and yellow. I think I was lenient. And I’m still in the office typing this. :)
.-= Ruxandra´s last blog ..Borrowed Congeniality =-.

jean October 12, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Hi, I am glad i stumbled on to this article. Many of these are very universal and really, very true. The more I see people, the more I understand that. And yes, comments are going to be on specific points. :)

I do have a question though. What do you call the feeling you get when you see injustice or something really bad happening? Is that anger or something else? I always felt that that anger (or whatever it is called), if understood, can be channeled to do good things. That it is a manifestation of some imbalance that needs to be corrected, either within ourselves or the circumstances we are in. It is when the anger is expressed wrong, uncontrollable or hurts someone, then it becomes a problem. It is a not a weakness if used as a tool for good or change. (I do agree about violence being a sign of weakness though)

Yes, if we lived in an ideal and enlightened world, where all these truths and other truths were understood, accepted and practiced, that feeling would be non existent. Until then, we can’t sit back and watch and expect things to change on their own.

I am just expressing a thought process, please feel free to agree, disagree or correct me, I am always open to change if it’s for good.

You have a great blog, I am happy I found it today, looking forward to more wonderful posts.

David October 12, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Hi Jean,

When I see something unfair or cruel happening, anger is usually my internal reaction, yes. But I don’t trust it to tell me the smart thing to do.

I no longer believe anger is very useful, the great majority of the time. To my mind, anger’s purpose is to get the body ready for a physical confrontation, and that’s it. For most people in civilized societies, physical confrontation is rarely a helpful course of action, and therefore anger only makes a person more likely to create trouble for themselves. It triggers anger in other people and gives them a reason to get violent.

Anger makes us emotional and biased, and unable to empathize or think rationally. It is easy to manipulate angry people, and this human weakness has been abused by dictators, terrorist leaders, lynch mobs, unscrupulous politicians and all other manners of destructive people. It forfeits our higher mental abilities in favor of physical readiness. As far as I’m concerned, the only time anger might not be a weakness is when you are actually in a fight.

As you might gather from reading some of my other articles, I do not trust anger to make things fair or correct injustices, nor do I believe that justice is always possible. Anger makes people feel like their point of view is right, and forget that they may be wrong.

I’m glad you’re liking the blog, thanks so much for your comment. :)
.-= David´s last blog ..David Goes Kiwi is Officially Online =-.

David Bradley October 29, 2009 at 5:26 am

I was going to make a cynical remark about this all being cod psychology and fishy philosophy but I saw item #16 and changed my mind. Good work!

David October 29, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Hehe thanks… this post isn’t any kind of -ology. I should put a “for entertainment only” disclaimer, it seems to upset some people.

David Bradley October 29, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Didn’t upset me in the slightest…just made me think. Time to turn down the cynical dial from 11 to maybe 8.5…
.-= David Bradley´s last blog ..Food Chemistry News =-.

David October 30, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Haha, 11…. very Spinal Tap

David October 30, 2009 at 10:48 am

David,

You will never know how happy I am to have found this list. You’re insights show you are well beyond your years, David. Good for you.

Good for us.

David October 30, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Well thank you David, I’m glad it was meaningful to you. Feel free to share it with people whom you think will enjoy it.
.-= David´s last blog ..The Easiest Way to Suffer =-.

Mike aka Find Inspiration November 9, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Awesome insight. Definitely printed this out and busted out the highlighter!
.-= Mike aka Find Inspiration´s last blog ..Inspirational Thoughts & Quotes #14 =-.

sak boun November 19, 2009 at 3:31 pm

im a designer in Los Angeles and stumbled upon this forum. i love these quotes and was wondering if you’re interested in chatting with me to produce these quotes on a tshirt. email me sakbounphotography @ gmail.com

Amanda November 20, 2009 at 9:57 am

These are incredibly true and insightful. Good job with this list. It really made me think about things. I’ll be saving and sharing this with others. Thanks!
.-= Amanda´s last blog ..How To Engage Consumers This Holiday Season =-.

Jessica November 25, 2009 at 4:24 pm

FANTASTIC REALIZATIONS
even though you dont know me I just wanted to congratulate you and thank you. I find your thoughts really valuable.

Gerlaine December 4, 2009 at 10:27 am

Those are some awesome truths. I say that because I agreed with everyone and have learned some of those truths many times over.

Truth # 89: If you lie to yourself again and again, you will begin to believe it. (This can work out for you or against you.)
.-= Gerlaine´s last blog ..Gerlaine Talk Refocus… =-.

David December 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Can’t disagree with that one!
.-= David´s last blog ..Nature’s Dominant Creature =-.

Kelly December 14, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I couldn’t help but think of this after reading #53.

David December 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Hah! Just as I suspected :)

James Watson December 14, 2009 at 7:05 pm

The killing time one got to me… time to get back to work!

David December 14, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Sorry about that :)
.-= David´s last blog ..Nature’s Dominant Creature =-.

Gabi December 16, 2009 at 11:38 am

This is wonderful.

Rohit Prakash December 17, 2009 at 1:46 am

David,

Great list and I admire your deep experience with life.

I like the points: 9, 11, 18, 22, 47 and 85.

If you combine the first two, it becomes 9/11. And what you wrote in 11 is applicable to 9/11 incident.

I didn’t create this sequence. I just wrote the point numbers that I liked. But later when I pondered, I noticed that what you said in 11th point needs to be conveyed to the Bush administration for 9/11.
.-= Rohit Prakash´s last blog ..What, when and how to read. =-.

Jay Willingham January 5, 2010 at 2:33 am

I’ve always wanted to write a “100 things I’ve learned” post but can never find 100 things that I’ve learned. Maybe that’s why you did 88?

However I did find 100 things I did in college. That articles was VERY easy to write haha.
.-= Jay Willingham´s last blog ..Best Semester Ever =-.

David January 5, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Hi Jay. I just like the number 88. It’s more memorable than 100, that’s for sure.
.-= David´s last blog ..What Were Your Highlights in 2009? =-.

Jordan January 18, 2010 at 3:34 pm

88 eh? pity you couldn’t have kept going, on and on, discovering and re-discovering yourself, ploughing and re-ploughing the depths of your psyche, forgetting to eat, drink or go to the bathroom, like a filthy oracle, drunk on flattering posts..

so what happens after we’ve applied all of these truths to our day to day lives and we discover that it hasn’t really helped, that we’re still unhappy, that we’re destined to be unhappy, and that no amount of gurgling baby-talk-idioms will help change this? is that when we drink the punch? Is it? cause i’m definitely not thirsty.

David January 18, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Nobody can help you.

trevor March 12, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Yes. This comment was a standout. Jordan gets an A for sinical creativity at least ! haha. “A filthy oracle , drunk on flattering posts…” There is something equally pretentious and inspiring about these 88 life truths. Definitely torn about it… what else you got David? I can tell you are an insightful, sensitive guy.

David March 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Hi Trevor. To this day I’m not sure why everyone takes this post so seriously. It’s meant to make fun of the concept of “truth” — IMHO truth can be reduced to what’s most apparent to a given individual at a given moment. Even I don’t agree with all of these aphorisms. I don’t need to defend them, especially from the millions of faceless, drive-by internet critics like “Jordan.”

Knowing that nobody could possibly agree with all of them I wanted to see who resonated with what, and if people were more interested in criticizing for what they disagree with, or commenting on what they do agree with. The internet gives critical types an easy way to get high by shitting on people they don’t know, and they’re always eager to give themselves away.

No need to be torn. Nobody who is honest with themselves agrees (or disagrees) with everything here. If you want to more about me, look in the archives.

Jodi January 22, 2010 at 9:56 pm

This list is great. Thank you so much for writing it :)

David January 25, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Thanks Jodi.

clarity January 23, 2010 at 5:58 am

wow. This is amazing. I could not stop reading your list. I love your blog and will definitely be back here over and over not to mention digging in the archive.
.-= clarity´s last blog ..All Natural Girl =-.

David January 25, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Hi clarity. Yes I always encourage a wander through the archives. Some of those dusty articles haven’t seen the light of day in a long time. This one gets most of the attention. Hope to hear from you again.

Botox January 25, 2010 at 6:50 am

Superb. I love these lists. They can turn your day around.

David January 25, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Thanks Bo. Hope the day was good all the way through.

Jason January 29, 2010 at 12:19 am

Great list and I’m totally with you on #26! I have always avoided credit cards. Something just never felt right about them to me hahaha

John February 2, 2010 at 1:12 pm

“No one has it all figured out”.

Apparently, you figured that out.

Ann February 9, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I totally agree with #67. I do a lot of baking and real butter or even whipping cream always makes things taste better. That is why restaurant soups, sauces and desserts taste so good.

yogi March 3, 2010 at 1:55 am

you are a great thinker

You can’t change other people, and it’s rude to try. — even if its for the good ? we all want someone to change dont we, resigned to fate as we are

why then, you are doing it for sure. You are making people to appreciate their lives for what it is and change.

David March 3, 2010 at 2:01 am

Thanks yogi. If anyone reads this and changes, it’s because they suddenly saw something fit to change. I didn’t make them do it. These are just things I’ve learned, people can do with them what they will.

Jeffrey Morse March 7, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Great list, thanks! My favorite one although it was hard to choose was this one. I believe it was towards the bottom of this list:

“Wishing things were different is a great way to torture yourself.”

So true, people spend so much time in their lives being pessimistic and it is really unfair to themselves and people around them.

Thanks for the great article. Keep them coming!
.-= Jeffrey Morse´s last blog ..500 Lovemaking Tips ­Book Review =-.

Zoltan - Confidence Builder March 11, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Lot of gems in this article. I think it’s true that there is always someone who is better at something than we are. What can you do about it? Learn from it.
Procrastination will always cause problems later on. Do it now!
Thanks for sharing. I will use some of the advice for my self-esteem building site.

MissDee March 18, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I really enjoyed your list, especially #’s 15 and 50. I really wish more people realized that they do not have all the answers. As far as #50 goes I am very familiar with addiction, I had to battle several of them myself, Thank God I’m just on the other side. Keep up the good work, you definitely get a thumbs up!
.-= MissDee´s last blog ..ABUSE =-.

AustinJames March 19, 2010 at 11:22 am

Opinions are great.

Clairvoyance tools April 4, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I agree that people think too much. That’s so true. Especially when they have nothing else to do. Thinking is great though, but going through the same problem over and over again it’s not the way to do it.
.-= Clairvoyance tools´s last blog ..CHILDREN’S POETRY ON SELF-ESTEEM =-.

Sarah April 9, 2010 at 3:52 pm

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ~Native American Proverb

“All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.” – Pablo Picasso

“Only through our connectedness to others can we really know and enhance the self. And only through working on the self can we begin to enhance our connectedness to others.” – Harriet Goldhor Lerner

Tars April 9, 2010 at 5:44 pm

You know, if ever there was a template for how you should live your life and what you should learn from it, I’d like to point to “IF” by Rudyard Kipling. Initially, it may come across as an inspiring poem, but go slow, go line by line, go word by word and thought by thought and you’ll see how this is more than that, it is a hymn to human character, a prayer on my lips daily. 88 truths reveal much about how life is yet I feel what we need more is an ideal, a detailed ideal…and kipling, in this poem to his son, gives that.

Jake April 10, 2010 at 1:21 am

I liked quite a few of these, but 36 (“knowledge is belief, nothing more”) just seems so obviously false that i’m having trouble making sense out of it. Giving an example of a false belief that one could have seems almost trivial.
What is it supposed to mean?

David April 10, 2010 at 1:34 am

Hi Jake. It’s because what we “know” is only what we’ve come to believe. No matter how much evidence there is for a particular fact, as human individuals we cannot escape our own fallible, subjective viewpoint. To know something is only to be convinced it is true; there is no definitive line between belief and knowledge.

Read How to Be Right All the Time for further explanation. There was also a huge discussion about this in a the comment section of a recent post.
.-= David´s last blog ..Complaining is Only a Symptom — Experiment No. 5 Results =-.

Jeanne Male April 10, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Brilliant! The great 88 could only come from someone whose life is well examined. I am now a fan.
.-= Jeanne Male´s last blog ..Life Equals Risk: Part 1 =-.

nan palmero April 10, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Thank you for taking the time to write these, they were a treat to read. Writing down your thoughts and being willing to share them honestly takes longer and requires more energy than people think. I appreciate you investing for you and for us.

Nathaniel Brown April 19, 2010 at 4:32 pm

#6 is great, #3 has always shown itself in my life, #10 is great, #12 is the cornerstone of my existence, #26 too, #33 is really important to me, I love #56 and #83, #86 is perfect, and so is #87.

Thanks for sharing so much of your life experience.

Greg @ Greg Rides Trails April 21, 2010 at 7:37 am

Wow, all of these are so true! This is an excellent, thought provoking list!

Paul April 21, 2010 at 7:47 pm

As “Great Truths”, I disagree with a large number of these.

Paul April 21, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Most of them are okay when you replace words like “all” with “most”, and “always” with “usually”.

Paul April 21, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Others, however, are just ridiculous hyberbole; here are a few examples, just for fun:
>> 8. If everyone in the TV show you’re watching is good-looking, it’s not worth watching.
I judge whether a TV show is worth watching by how entertaining and/or informative it is. Are you saying you judge a TV show by how good-looking the actors are?
>> 9. Yelling always makes things worse.
Here’s a good example where you might much more effectively have used the word “usually” than “always”.
>>10. Whenever you’re worried about what others will think of you, you’re really just worried about what you’ll think of you.
No, actually these are not the same worries.
>> 36. Knowledge is belief, nothing more.
False. Maybe for you it is. Let me guess, you’re a Christian?
>> 57. There is nothing worse than having no friends.
If this is true for you, it’s certainly not true for everyone.
And anyway, how about having no friends and then getting your arms chopped off? Or even having one really crappy friend and getting your arms and legs chopped off? I’d give away the crappy friend to get my arms and legs back.
>> 58. To write a person off as worthless is an act of great violence.
Actually, no it’s not, unless you actually commit some kind of violence during your act of “writing” the person off.

David April 21, 2010 at 11:16 pm

CAUTION: You may be taking the internet too seriously. Take it for what it is worth to you.

Thanks for your three comments.

Paul April 28, 2010 at 10:33 pm

CAUTION: You can’t just publish any crap you want and expect everyone to gobble it up like brainless sheep; you have to expect that among the 1% or so of your audience that can actually think for themselves, there will be someone like me who will point out that your Great Truths are nothing more than inane babbling.

David April 29, 2010 at 1:36 am

Haha, he came back! Bored much?

Link us to your site.

Char (PSI Tutor:Mentor) April 29, 2010 at 5:02 am

You have become his Sun ~:-)

Suriel April 25, 2010 at 9:25 am

#76 – I could not agree more. There seems to be a general attitude that some people can heap as much crap on oneself as they please and get away with it “because they’re family”.

IMNSHO, a true friend is a family member. If blood-relations are NOT true friends then they’re not family. Simple as.
.-= Suriel´s last blog ..Return of the Spack! =-.

David April 25, 2010 at 3:11 pm

That’s how I feel about it. Some people definitely don’t agree though ;)
.-= David´s last blog ..Yes, But Does it Work? =-.

Terysloc May 1, 2010 at 12:29 am

That’s hilarious about the Paul dude….being bored. Then again, maybe it’s NOT hilarious: Poor fellow kind of has a sucky life.

David May 1, 2010 at 1:00 am

.-= David´s last blog ..Insight Is Not Enough =-.

Paul August 15, 2010 at 11:07 am

Grow out of what?

Evan May 2, 2010 at 6:05 pm

David, I have to tell you that i loved this list.
And so you know, i plan to apply your lessons to my life. I’m only a teenager and already i hope my KIDS get to read this!
Thanks a million and
Take care!

Arian May 7, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Thanks David!
It is really uplifting to find that there are people out there who are constantly questing, questioning, and learning about life. I have been shocked at how willing people are to bury their heads and work very hard not to think. The wisdom you are sharing is a breath of fresh air in this life, and offer you my heartfelt appreciation for sharing what you have learned.

I love this list! And I loved the post about self-love vs. self-comfort. I am aware of the time I waste in front of computer games after work, though the awareness doesn’t usually win over the urge to indulge in that relaxing waste of time. I think I may set my phone alarm this coming monday for just after work. When it goes off, I will remember there is something I was going to do. That something is re-reading the post about self-love, which I believe might just inspire me to make a different choice.

Thanks! Your wisdom is a gem, and this world sorely needs more people like you who are willing to share what they learn!

kenyotta May 19, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Nice Post,A lot of great stuff to keep on my mind…
Keep up the great post…

Paul in Chicago May 20, 2010 at 1:13 am

Thank you for the great list! I was not sure of a couple, some I knew well and some I was afraid might be true! May I humbly add one as a cousin to 87? “Life can not be controlled, only managed.
Thank you for a wonderful Blog. I will be returning often to learn more.

David May 20, 2010 at 11:52 pm

That’s a great one. The version I heard is “Life cannot be cured, only managed.”

Dan May 20, 2010 at 2:01 am

You should put #88 higher up on the list.

David May 20, 2010 at 11:51 pm

They’re in no particular order.

One guy commented that he laughed when he got to the last one because he read this post to kill time :)

Carie May 20, 2010 at 6:12 am

Alrighty… perhaps ^PERHAPS^… some of these things were not to be taken literally…
I keep seeing people disagreeing with the TV show one.. I had no issues at all, but it’s because I think that the thought is more along the lines of “spending your free time looking at pictures of impossibly pretty people will lower your self-esteem”… but I don’t generally watch TV anyway because it’s mindless for me.

I learned the one about being happy with yourself before being happy in a relationship a few years ago. I wasn’t too happy with myself and I allowed myself to be used and cast away a few months later (with a baby!). I was very self-reflective for a long time and eventually came to understand that I need to love myself before I can genuinly love others and expect them to love me back. My life is better for it.

I work in retail for now while taking classes. I hear a lot of casual cussing and can’t help but think that the people who cuss so much and say so little could use some more education. I once dropped an f-bomb in front of my uncle when I was 14, he looked at me and said “Such ugly words should not come from such a pretty mouth”. I’m 21 and rarely cuss.

What I really like though was #10. Things are just plain easier when I stop worrying about what other people will say. So what if my clothing is a little old or worn? It’s how I wear it that matters. Posture DOES make a difference. (I think that was another truth)
When I interview, I know that standing straight, having good eye contact and leaning forward slightly will leave a better impression than slumping in the chair and staring at the floor. Does this mean that I don’t do both? No it doesn’t. If I want the job I have to play the game.

Anyway, I have to sleep, I work nights and this 6am stuff is not my favorite time of day.

David May 20, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Yeah I stand by the TV show one. No good show has only good-looking people in it.

And #10 was a real revelation for me. I have found that there is never a time when I feel like I’m being judged in which I am not actually the one doing the judging.

hlaynen May 23, 2010 at 9:07 am

Thank you for sharing. I applaud you in writing down all those random thoughts other people, including myself, have had but just let pass by.

Kamil May 23, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Hi,
I really like the list generally, quite a lot of good points, but point no. 1 is definitely wrong in a way.
I don’t think it’s bad to change people, if all you’re doing is helping them change themselves in the way that they want to.
It’s obviously bad to change someone, just because you don’t like the way they are, one should just change themselves, but changing others is not necessarily a bad thing at all.
Regards,
Kamil

David May 23, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I would say that helping someone change is not the same as changing someone. They changed themselves. I’m talking about trying to change the qualities that you dislike in others. Everybody has a different take on each of these though.

sir jorge June 17, 2010 at 8:08 pm

that’s a really solid list, i like it

mc June 18, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Writing down lots of platitudes is easy; remembering and using them all on a daily basis is not.

David June 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Definitely.

Niluka Weerasinghe June 19, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Hi,
extraordinary list, in above list, at least I am trying to go behind 75%
good post

Niluka

Brad June 21, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Wow, you have really racked up the comments on this one. Amazing. I guess that’s what you get when you try to distill a lifetime’s contemplation into one post.

David June 22, 2010 at 10:41 pm

People like lists I guess.

Haider June 29, 2010 at 4:59 pm

People do like lists, but they LOVE great lists! And this is a GREAT list! :D

Some of the points I felt stand on their own. Others I felt deserve a bit more exploration.

For example, #7: We teach children to be dishonest when we set a bad example (i.e. by lying) and by punishing them when they’re honest.

I guess this encourages your readers to think each point through. ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Brad June 23, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Yea. I sent a prospective guest post to your gmail account. Let me know if you would like it.

Mandy July 5, 2010 at 12:13 am

Life has taught me many of these lessons, too. Some I certainly needed reminding about (#75), but others I’ll never forget (#11 & 82). I agree with them all. Thank you for such wonderful insight!

Catarina Alexon July 17, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Why don’t you add

The only thing that’s certain is uncertainty.

James July 23, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I had trouble with 35 and 36…

Knowledge is a tool. Proof is an understanding, more like a personal belief, rather than a consensus.

Sampath July 31, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Excellent blog. There is so much to learn and so much to share. Please keep up the good work.
Sampath.
Blog: sampathvr.wordpress.com

Brian August 14, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I usually am one to sit back and observe without adding much, but i had to comment on your blog. Its sophisticated nature is as inspirational as it is thought provoking and I thank you for taking the time to compile it. You have an uncanny ability to rationalize and articulate thoughts that most us have trouble verbalizing. Also, it’s a breathe of fresh air to read all of the positive comments from the readers. Quite a combination of astute contributors.

I won’t leave without contributing myself. The quotes I thought to be most profound are:

1. You can’t change other people, and it’s rude to try.
41. Revenge is for the petty and irresponsible.
47. If you aren’t happy single, you won’t be happy in a relationship.
65. It’s easy to make someone’s day just by being uncommonly pleasant to them.

I’ll leave with a quote of my own that you or anyone may use, tweak. etc

Anyone can tell you anything, but it’s their actions that will always provide you with their true intentions.

Keep up the good work David :)

David August 14, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Reminds me of an Emerson quote: “Who you are speaks so loudly I cannot hear what you say.”

duke September 5, 2010 at 1:31 pm

“I try not to judge. I’ve been needlessly critical too. I suspect he is a teenager and will grow out of it. He’s probably a decent guy, just bored.”

I don’t understand this. He didn’t curse and wasn’t even mean to be honest, he just disagreed with you.
Listing this:
“58. To write a person off as worthless is an act of great violence.”
then saying “oh well he’s just a teenager he’ll grow out of his opinion” is hypocritical. While I agree with many of the points, many that he brought up were also valid. I mean the TV rule? An actors attractiveness has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the TV show…implying that a show has to have an ugly person to be good is just as stupid as saying a show has to have attractive people.

David September 11, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Heh. I said that because it reminded me of things I posted on websites as a teenager. Nowhere did I write him off as worthless.

The attractiveness of the cast of a TV show has a lot to do with its quality. When a show’s cast doesn’t entirely consist of people who could be underwear-models, it implies that the creators of the show value a realistic depiction of human beings. The presence of a distracting amount of eye-candy is a dead giveaway that they do not believe the story and its moral will stand on their own. A realistic palette of human shapes and sizes in the cast is an extremely strong indicator that the creators are more interested in making an artistic statement of some kind than in appealing to the broadest audience possible.

Nobody is going to agree with all of these points. I don’t even agree with all of them anymore. It was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek post, but it went viral and I’ve had to answer for these aphorisms ever since from all kinds of people. Clearly these are 88 opinions, and many people will find many of them true in their world.

Henway September 16, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Truths that resonate with me:
11. You never have to deal with more than one moment at a time.
55. By default, people think far too much.

Tierra September 23, 2010 at 6:26 pm

#85 is personally my favorite because when i get bored or down on myself, i read a book to get out of my life for a few hours a day. it really does help coping with things. this guy really knows what hes talking about. also the one about one comment can ruin a person for life, that is definetely true, as bad as people want to believe that words dont hurt forever, their like brands that leave scars :/

Anthony October 4, 2010 at 8:13 am

This is a seriously great list. I was expecting generic cliche’s but there isn’t one on here. Very impressed.

Daily Success Place October 5, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Couldn’t agree more with number 58:
To write a person off as worthless is an act of great violence.

matahpi October 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Some really good ones, Some ridiculous ones,
Your hypocrisy shows- who cares if woman/man in positions of power- we need just good moral leaders. I suffer under both at this time! Guess that blame is bad thing is out the window & I think your doing too much #55!
Thanks-good list

Naptárak October 27, 2010 at 11:00 am

Lots of good things in this article. I like spending time with children and with the elderly. Their honesty, innocence and playfulness are couple things we can all learn from. That is why I like #7 probably. Thanks for sharing.

Anon November 2, 2010 at 11:19 am

13. If you never doubt your beliefs, then you’re wrong a lot.

36. Knowledge is belief, nothing more.

You seem to have some confusion on what belief and knowledge really are. They’re mutually exclusive.

David November 2, 2010 at 4:21 pm

No, I don’t think so at all.

Knowledge is what we call a belief when we believe there is no doubt. All knowledge exists somewhere on a continuum of certainty, as beliefs are, but most of us won’t call it knowledge until our level of certainty is very high. We have all “known” things that turned out to be incorrect. There may be very good reasons for our certainty (empirical evidence, etc.) but that only means it is that much further down the same continuum than what we normally call “beliefs”. But they are the same thing: convictions to one degree of certainty or another. They are not mutually exclusive.

This was discussed extensively in the comment section of “40 Belief-Shaking Remarks From a Ruthless Non-Conformist.” Lots of great points were made.

Grant November 29, 2010 at 9:51 am

People seem to get stuck on #78. I used to think books had to be finished once begun. My uncle was an English professor and was the man who gave me permission to put a book down if I was not getting anything from it. But he also suggested I try picking it up later in life because as we grow older our interests change and life’s experiences change us, so we might find that the book we once found unreadable now gives us invaluable insights. That advice has proven golden to me.
I love this list and am forwarding it to my father who turns 88 this week.

Pedáns Takarítás January 19, 2011 at 4:08 am

There is always someone who knows something I don´t. Respect people and you gonna get the same respect back to you. Great list. Thanks for sharing.

Lynne January 20, 2011 at 1:08 pm

For myself and relatives of various generations, 82 is just dead wrong.

tracie January 31, 2011 at 2:37 am

wow. some of these are so on the money of how people should move forward and how im learning to think. thanks.

Georgiana February 3, 2011 at 2:33 am

Thank you so much for this list.

devin February 4, 2011 at 2:39 pm

good stuff.

Live Life Every Day February 10, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Great list!

#65 is the best: “It’s easy to make someone’s day just by being uncommonly pleasant to them.”

This is so true! Even a simple smile can go a long way!

fajas colombianas February 18, 2011 at 9:26 am

MelodyO February 23, 2011 at 10:10 pm

What a fantastic post! Lots of a-ha moments for me. Thanks very much for sharing your wisdom.

Von from VonsFitnessTips.com March 7, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Wow this list is just brilliant, everything is so true!

CJ March 8, 2011 at 6:04 am

“7. Children are remarkably honest creatures until we teach them not to be.”

This is the least true thing I’ve ever seen on a list like this. Children are born liars – babies lie as soon as they can cry, studies have shown it. They are in fact remarkably deceitful creatures until we teach them to be honest.

David March 8, 2011 at 7:14 pm

You might be right. If that’s the least true thing you found on that list, then excellent :)

proxy March 9, 2011 at 1:40 am

CLEARLY TO ADD the Above post is written by a wise Person :D experienced Life inna common way jus like we all do only the experiences are different can be common in different circumstances
it just said all the 88 life experiences i already experienced by the age of 19 n this year im turnning if i already knw wat life is all about y is it still hard to live ? why is the question always unanswered…

proxy March 9, 2011 at 1:46 am

He just said all the 88 life experiences i already experienced by the age of 19 n this year im turnning 20… if i already knw wat life is all about y is it still hard to live and if its easy n am not really getting it .. then .. why ? is the question always unanswered… to every question about life and the answer is definately death

Mr. Tees March 14, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Cant believe I just sat here and read all 80… Fantastic post.

Mark March 22, 2011 at 1:35 am

I’d revise number 19.

19. The Bible, God’s Word, alone can teach you everything you need to know about living with grace and happiness.

I used to live by the means of Emmerson’s ideals. Horrible life.
The day I was saved, my life completely turned for the better :D

tinks August 18, 2011 at 11:40 pm

amen! :)

Tom Mrak March 23, 2011 at 5:08 am

Hey David.

Found your blog accidentally. You are quite wise.

I wish I had known these at a younger age. 29 now.

Trevor March 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm

79. There is no correlation between the price of a brand of batteries and how long they last. This is so true, I buy cheaper Walgreens brand batteries, and they last the longest time. Great list btw.

Amy Croson April 19, 2011 at 6:53 pm

This is such a great blog, & it’s so true. If you’re interested, I would love to link you to my website & vise versa. 2147miles.com is all about people fighting for their dreams. Please let me know if you’re interested. Thank you.

Amy

Retep April 29, 2011 at 2:26 pm

This is great! All of them hit home! Thanks poster!!

Erin Smith May 6, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Smartest thing I’ve ever read. I don’t know who you are, but you have more sense than all the people I’ve ever met put together.

Matt R May 8, 2011 at 7:27 pm

These all relate to one another so well as they all relate to comfort. The best situations in life can come from growing a pair and making situations that are totally uncomfortable in order to make situations that have greater risks/rewards. Cheers.

Also #22, any ideas on how we could change that?
I feel that technology could help that situation or make it worse…it’ll probably do a bit of both in terms of risk.

-Matt

Taylor T May 8, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I printed this out and I carry them with me everywhere!

Melvin July 10, 2011 at 7:30 am

39. Self-examination is the only path out of misery.

So true! This is a great find. Thanks for pointing this out.

Cheers!

Katya July 14, 2011 at 9:25 pm

These are great bits of wisdom! Thank you!!!

Mannan Khan August 3, 2011 at 2:11 pm

number 2 is best!

Kylie August 9, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I love the list… except I have to disagree (for me, anyhow) with number 9.
Sometimes, all I need is a good yell, whether it be in my car, in my room, or outside with nobody around. Sometimes just screaming out gets out a lot of feeling, and then I can be around people again without feeling so angry or upset.

I LOVE 47 though, probably my favorite :)

Jake August 10, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Personally, I think a few of these are wrong, including #1.
For #63, see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM

ireneybean August 10, 2011 at 2:12 pm

“Anger reveals weakness of character”

Just no! Everyone gets angry and anger is healthy! It’s how we deal with our anger that can reveal either strength or weakness of character!

David August 26, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I guess I was referring to the expression of anger towards others. I think it is a myth that anger is healthy. Normal yes, healthy no.

Cassi Cain August 26, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Dear David Cain,
I want to let you know that i have set this list as my homepage for the past year. I would like to inform you that it has helped me through some very difficult hellish times in the past year for myself. So i want to thank you for helping me through so many obstacles. I read this list to settle with myself and make sense of the situation Im in. Much appreciated.

David August 26, 2011 at 4:00 pm

It makes me happy to hear that. Thanks for saying so Cassi.

Hey maybe you’re my long lost relative… :)

Katie Benedetto August 31, 2011 at 11:03 pm

This blog is insanely awesome. I’m really excited to find you. Hi David! :)

Jess September 7, 2011 at 7:58 am

WOW!
I’ve just discovered your blog and cannot stop reading all those posts. So inspiring. It seems you happen to always find the right word that will speak to me.
Thank you!

xixihaha567 September 10, 2011 at 11:33 am

Not a bad guide, Although it could have been longer

Nitya September 14, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I would like to leave my observation/insight on the human condition, if you are still bothering to accept feedback.

People generally cast themselves as the hero in their particular story, no matter what the context. As a consequence, I always view personal accounts with a certain degree of scepticism. I allow for the twisting of perspectives that enhance the individual relaying events. Perhaps it is an essential mechanism for survival of the ego?

David September 14, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Can’t disagree with that

gaurav September 15, 2011 at 1:38 am

its just wow..
truly a truth about about life..
some things i also share about life and mentioned here

livelovenfeellife.blogspot.com

Kate October 4, 2011 at 5:41 pm

You helped me change my life. I’ve always been happy, or thought I was. It wasn’t until I really looked inside myself that I realized I can always be happier. Be a better friend. Be a better person. So thank you.

Briana October 13, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Hey David,
I found you through Stumbleupon a while back and visit this list on a regular basis. I come back to these whenever I’m feeling confused or unhappy in my life. It’s nice to know I am reading truths someone else has also learned. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
- Briana

Abdul Rauf October 19, 2011 at 4:37 am

An owesome collection, a real blend of experience

Andy November 9, 2011 at 2:27 am

Great post you’ve made here. The only thing I could say is in our life we continue to discover new things and we will dynamically learn from every situations encountered.

Be true to oneself and you’ll have a thousand ways to have a wonderful life.

Melanie Campagne November 12, 2011 at 7:59 am

wow, I never comment on any articles that I read and I read a lot of them! This has been one of the best I’ve ever read. I’m going to print it off and make it a poster in my home where anyone who comes in can get a piece of this wise list of truth. Thank you.

Rodrigo Barros November 12, 2011 at 10:14 am

I’ve been following Raptitude for a while and this is by far the most useful single page of knowledge I can recollect coming across. I am going through a rough patch at the moment – that is, compared to what my life had previously been, I know lots of people have it much worse – and reading this reminds me that life’s too short to waste it being bitter.

Thanks for posting it, David, and for all the work in here.

Peter November 15, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I think the world can be a better place if everyone read and attempted to follow your 88 rules…. Well except #72, I disagree :)

Gita Madhu November 23, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I rarely enjoy long lists-there are all too many of them. But I have not only managed to read through yours and enjoyed it. You are gifted with the ability to process what have now become platitudes to most and to breathe fresh life into them by presenting them in your own words. It seems clear to me that you are a joyously serious student of life. Thank you very much for this entry!

David November 23, 2011 at 9:42 pm

You flatter me Gita! Thank you for the kind words. Hope you continue to enjoy the blog.

Ryan November 30, 2011 at 2:41 am

Hey David, I’m really enjoying these list’s. They’re all very insightful!

Thoguh after reading this quote:
“Cynicism is far too easy to be useful.”

I got caught up in a contradiction I noticed upon considering the truth in this. Doubt is a highlight of cyncism, which is also the epi-center of your statement. You doubt cynicism’s usefulness, but then benefit in your gained knowledge from formulating this idea. (That is if you consider this aphorism to be beneficial, I know I did! as far as it challanged my perspective.) If my expression got a little mangled, basically I was just attempting to address that I found you used cynicism to your benefit, but then discredited it’s abilitly to bring fourth any use!
I’m not trying to be disrespectful, I’m just curious!

Dawn December 10, 2011 at 9:24 am

yes, great list!

BlueZone December 21, 2011 at 10:49 pm

YES, MORE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC AND DISCOVERY

LAF December 28, 2011 at 9:26 am

I am a place in my life where Im questioning everything….just to see whats real and whats the product of strong opinion…..I stumbled across your blog and Im in love with it….maybe because I don’t feel so alone… tearing apart some hard foundations and apply simple truths to a simple, yet complicated life. Thank you. Keep writing and I will keep reading.

Michael February 24, 2012 at 11:31 pm

This list really does ring the bells of the truth. Thanks for making my day even better.

Helena February 29, 2012 at 5:29 pm

This was so insightful. It made me think. And it was entertaining. I’m really glad I clicked through a link on facebook :)

john March 2, 2012 at 10:15 pm

57. There is nothing worse than having no friends

i have to disagree… you could have bad friends

Michael May 29, 2012 at 9:01 pm

then they’re not really your friends, are they…

Indica March 4, 2012 at 5:02 pm

You left off the one about people that talk in bumper stickers.

Lin March 5, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Even as a 14 year old boy I thoroughly enjoyed this article. You really touch on the Important things in life that ignorant people seem to openly neglect. Thank you for giving me some added wisdom to help me live my life a little better, in the way that I and only I see it

Escape the Rat Race March 12, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Great list and I’m totally with you on #26! I have always avoided credit cards when ever possible!

Sean Isaacs May 25, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Hi David, what a great list. So many simple yet profound statements. Too many good ones to list. I am sure this took alot of time to work through and choose the right words. Great job and thank you! Some of my own thoughts. I am tempted to write an article on each one. But they are yours! Thanks for giving so much value. I will re-post. I also took a moment to scan a few more of your articles and it looks like I am a new fan. I agree with an earlier comment that said you should write an article on each one. Just a thought!

Robert Rogers June 7, 2012 at 9:59 am

The key is the keep learning. That is the key to life. That is what makes things the most enjoyable. And that is what helps us to progress and improve. Thanks for sharing your lessons!

Avinash June 25, 2012 at 11:00 am

Thanks for this.

MLR July 6, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Painful truisms that should be shared for personal revelations & guidance to a better path for personal growth, thank you

Diana July 16, 2012 at 12:48 am

I love this post, is so interesting and so important, I dont know so much english because my first language is Spanish but this list is so good and I am with you in the #70- Nothing-ever-happens exactly like you pictured it. You are really great. Thank you.

tom campbell July 22, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I love so much of what you have to say. I’ve devoured a lot of your blog in the last couple days. thank you! I fear I’m in danger of disregarding your #1 point from above however in asking in regard to your point #22 if you’ve ever explored a critique of civilization. In other of your posts, you seem to take as a premise that civilization is a boon to humanity in allowing humans to have their basic needs met with minimal effort. but what if this supposed boon is what is leading to us making the world uninhabitable for ourselves? I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts. Thank you again for your effort and inspiration in publishing this blog!

tom campbell July 22, 2012 at 10:15 pm

woops, I just realized that one of your most recent posts (the one that brought me to your blog) acknowledges that your older posts held different views about life before civilization than you do now. still I’m curious if this new understanding you’ve come to about pre-historic humans effects what you think of the value of civilization.

V'Spirit Cruises July 26, 2012 at 8:08 am

Hi David, this is truly a great list. Thanks for sharing.

DeWayne Williams August 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Thank you for this list of Wisdom!

isre August 6, 2012 at 3:33 pm

you are so awesome man!

neeraj sharma August 31, 2012 at 2:47 pm

thankyou david…..i read your thought and i am satisfied with these reason of lie to make good life..i was worried about about my life and i was in very tension in my life but now i feel better after read it…thanks again david…………

Sam September 5, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I like this post! Also 40 belief shaking remarks… (for the most part).

Reading the comments (and responses), I identify with the unpleasant irate people. I only speak when provoked to irateness: in general, when words like religion are used, I distance myself and stay quiet (so I don’t get irate).

The problem: taking issue with things: for example when one uses different definitions for some word, requiring that all previously validated logical statements involving that word become invalidated: it’s difficult to have discussions involving such words when the two parties understand them to be different things, and midway through the discussion when it turns out they’re not the same things (and it appears, at least, that the other party is conflating different definitions of the same word, perhaps). That is the time when the entire conversation has to be revisited by the person who recognizes that there is a difference in definition being used. (Perhaps the person, seeing how much reparsing and thought there is to do to reevaluate statements in an abnormal definitional context, chooses not to revisit the conversation…)

So the cynical proselytizing remarks you received about truth, knowledge, proof, and beliefs are such things; and the comments are expressing that the commenter believes their usage of these words is very different from your usage of these words. And perhaps they are, and if so then perhaps these are fundamental worldviews being encapsulated in these words, or perhaps they are miscommunications.

For example, respectively, truth, knowledge, proof, and belief make me think: “relative”, “collection of statements in contexts and their context”, “logical (eg, mathematical) derivations from (hopefully) trivial axioms”, and “validation of axioms, statements, or knowledge by an epistemology, or truth”.

Many times I have written irate comments too. But it takes quite a lot to express these things!

johnny September 15, 2012 at 8:04 am

i found a similar post on http:realxboxrewards.com..It was funny when i first read it and after that i showed the site to a couple of friends and instamagically amazed them

edora September 16, 2012 at 2:27 pm

great collections..its really inspired me

Infonomics September 25, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Enjoyed your list. I would add one to it: everyone is selling something, including ideas. Cheers.

vijay Gururani November 5, 2012 at 3:03 am

Dear David,
These all above 88 learning are life path of human being .

“”Truth is all about light of knowledge which goes to direct human being to GOD””

“LOVE HOPE TRUTH”

Bye
from INDIA

berhane November 13, 2012 at 10:29 am

Further Credible. thanks.

Ian McDermott November 24, 2012 at 8:33 am

Erm, No. 72…almost every woman who ran a country started and/or finished a war. Indira Ghandi, Margaret Thatcher, Golda Meir put up a nuke in an IDF Skyhawk, just in case Egypt won. If you do a little research you’ll find that women are just a belligerent as men when in positions of power. Helen Ciller of Turkey, she stomped on the Kurds…and so on.

@ommunist December 8, 2012 at 12:53 pm

On #88, could you please clarify what you understand under ‘time’. I personally think there is no such a thing. People often mix ‘time’ with distance.

matt December 11, 2012 at 7:03 am

‘It’s a cliché because it’s true’ is a cliché because it’s true.

Leilani Grace February 2, 2013 at 3:28 am

Through the first 50, after reading and trying to relate them to my life, i kept thinking about my father. I need to see him, and say sorry.

Denise Trevino March 1, 2013 at 10:15 am

I strongly disagreed on 57 really their is no need to have friends unless it is previously. I mean really number 9 doesn’t make yelling a bad thing. But it was choice to put that on your Important Life Truths maybe just maybe your right.

nexusscars March 13, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Hello David,

I personally like #36. Knowledge is belief, nothing more.
I guess we remember those things and mostly wish to recall those things that we believe in.

Dharani dhara sha March 27, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Hi ,
Its great , what you gather for all to realize about what truths is.

Last two days i was imotionally tortured from my Manager (office). i always says his mistake, Thinking as, i am doing heardly mistake which can cause thinks like that.
Your truths # 39,69,76,87,85 turm me around normal and think about after ……………..

Thanks once again

Avneet Sharma April 16, 2013 at 6:19 am

It’s great ,some of the things you have experience about life can also be seen in my Holy Book ‘Bhadvadgita’ also :D

Daniel April 19, 2013 at 1:24 am

English isn’t my native language, so I’d appreciate if someone can extend the point 31. If what you’re doing feels perfectly safe, there is probably a better course of action.
I’m really intrigued on what it wants to say. I mean, when I think about what it is saying I perfectly understand it, but why would there be a better course of action? That is not clear to me.

anonymous May 3, 2013 at 11:58 pm
elisha May 4, 2013 at 4:54 am

your articles are a gift from God !!
i am ur fan!!
excellent writing and i agree to all those truths.

i loved number 76- some people are better left alone, especially when they bring you negativity. !!

keep up the good work David. You are great!! :D

Ali May 7, 2013 at 7:59 am

Awesome post , no. 4 “The cheapest and most expensive models are usually both bad deals” is so true…

MANJEET AHLAWAT June 19, 2013 at 12:24 am

Very great act …… you have done.

So many things about the human nature and introspection…….

One more truth I would like to add is ..
we are in heavenly world if can feel it, and make & maintain it …….
whatever is bad is created by human our self……

Please keep it up….
Nice collection …… I love this ……..

Professional SEO services September 1, 2013 at 2:02 am

Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been
blogging for? you make running a blog look easy. The entire look of
your web site is fantastic, let alone the content!

debi October 23, 2013 at 11:32 am

LOVE this list! I am a teacher, and every Wednesday I have “Wednesday’s Wonderful Words of Wisdom” with my 7th grade students to give them things to think about other than science and math. I read several off of your list (some aren’t really applicable to 13 year old kids) and they loved them as well! Thanks so much for sharing!

T. November 2, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Disagree with for example: nobody has it all figured. Simply because you haven’t encounter that person or disbelieve doesn’t mean that is true.

Jaime November 17, 2013 at 9:41 am

I am 53 and loved the whole list, because, at this point, I´ve already gone throught each of item out, and I have to say, the first of the list is properly ranked. People change when truly decide by their own. When one got the point, in fact, never goes beyond the advices purposes.

ChronicUrticaria hives treatment November 30, 2013 at 11:06 am

Amazing! Its genuinely remarkable paragraph, I have got much clear idea on the topic of
from this paragraph.

campervans for sale December 10, 2013 at 8:54 am

Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am
impressed! Very useful information particularly the last part :)
I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this
particular information for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

Michael Bradham December 11, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Looks like a lot to meditate on. Heres to 20 Days Meditation Honoring New Year: http://llavealhighway.com/20-days-meditation-for-new-year/

Lizzette Wheeling December 13, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Hello, I would like to subscribe for this weblog to get latest updates, so where can i do it please help out.

wamble December 14, 2013 at 6:45 am

{how do you spell the sound of silence folks}

sky December 17, 2013 at 6:58 am

Hahaha. Brilliant. Worth a read :)

sholaar December 20, 2013 at 1:47 am

I really find this list very interesting can’t pick a favorite actually but #1 seems τ̅☺ be something I always believ and so glad som1 else share that view. As for the calories and butter part? Am from Nigeria, don’t think ppl in this part of d world cares about that….at least not me. Hahahaa

sholaar December 20, 2013 at 1:56 am

And ooh there should be a “share” button or am I missing it?

Edwin January 9, 2014 at 9:00 am

Like number 48. Really, nothing is free.

skip hire Tottenham February 14, 2014 at 9:59 pm

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy.
I ave read this poat and if I could I wish to suggest youu somme intgeresting things or tips.
Perhaps you could writye next articles referring
to this article. I want to read even more things about it!

Kyle B April 2, 2014 at 8:35 pm

I really liked #73. Being true to yourself is one of the most important aspects to a person’s life. I learned a long time ago that if I don’t believe in myself, no one else will. Nothing good will ever come from from lying to yourself about who you are.

Party in Tampa April 4, 2014 at 7:21 pm

As noted in #63…casual swearing makes people sound dumb, I hate when people at work swear to try and fit in. It takes more guts to act civilized!