I’d like your input on something

Post image for I’d like your input on something

Of everything that’s happened since I launched Raptitude, what I’m most proud of is that I’ve attracted a such an intelligent and discerning audience. That flatters me to no end and assures me I’m doing something right.

I feel extremely lucky to be able to bounce ideas off a large group of particularly thoughtful people. I’d like to hear your thoughts about something.

I’ve been approached by major publisher asking if I’d thought about doing a book.

Something may or may not come of this, but I’ll be writing a book sooner or later anyway. Thematically, there are lots of places to go with it. Essentially Raptitude is about human evolution through personal evolution, but that includes a lot: living in modern society, contending with the human condition, courting habit change, honing quality-of-life skills, fluff-free spirituality, self-reliance, self-examination, practicing sanity in its various forms, and even making cookies.

So I have three questions for you. I’d appreciate your answer to any or all of them, as well as any other comments you might have.

1) Would you read a Raptitude book?

2) What is Raptitude about, to you?

3) What would you like to see in a book?

Even if you don’t normally comment — and I know the vast majority of readers don’t — I’d like to hear what you have to say about this.

Thank you. You guys are the best.

Photo by David Cain

Learn to live in the present

Everyday mindfulness has transformed my life, and has for countless others. You can use it to reduce stress, deal calmly with trouble, and experience joy and peace throughout each day. Making it a habit is easier than you probably think. Learn how.

Maria Pavel April 14, 2011 at 9:27 am

1. Yes, i will read but just if is an e-book!
2. Raptitude is the place where i come to read some of the best posts about how to become a better person – “life tutorials”
3. I want to see the reactions from your online audience, i want to see the best posts and maybe the best comments integrated.

Petra April 21, 2011 at 5:04 am

Agree all points besides #1 – i’d read even if there is no ebook :)

O April 14, 2011 at 1:49 pm

1) Would you read a Raptitude book?

I don’t think so. I like the blog format. I might give a ‘best of’ to someone who doesn’t use the internet much though.

2) What is Raptitude about, to you?

I visit because I can relate, and to get new ideas. I am also on a project of discovering myself, the world, and how to get along. I appreciate that you’re a fellow discoverer sharing your experiences, not an expert emitting advice. This is why I can’t imagine a book very easily.

3) What would you like to see in a book?

Perhaps a workbook would be interesting. I like the idea experiments, so maybe a bunch of suggestions for experiments along with some structured way to keep track of how the experiment went, and little blurps about how the experiment went for you (to read AFTER experimenting yourself).

Harmony April 14, 2011 at 5:29 pm

1) Would you read a Raptitude book?
YES! most likely repeatedly in between sharing it with friends and family.

2) What is Raptitude about, to you?
“getting better at being human” sums it up beautifully. i think human beings all over the world accidentally get caught in the “rat race” of living, and lose touch with their philosophical side. raptitude reminds me to morally question more and extend my inner thoughts. reading it has given me peace and inspiration. i look forward to each new blog. you’ve def got something going for yourself with what you’re doing here. your work is never a chore to read and always leaves me with something to mediate on. you put into words what most cannot and do it simply yet effectively. you have soul. and its beautiful.

3) What would you like to see in a book?
more positive wisdom for the world. keep doing what you’re doing and it will be brilliant. :)

ps- “you will never be this young again” has stayed with me everyday since this first time i read it.

thanks!

Amy April 15, 2011 at 10:26 am

1. NO, I would not, for various reasons, the least of which being actually sitting down to write a book seems contrary to Raptitude’s philosophy.

Living in the moment is NOT getting lost in a book. Instead it would be feeling the pages, appreciating the black marks on them, being aware of its weight, its smell.

2. Raptitude is an account of insights you interpret from situations that happen to YOU, Dave, as you go about your life.

I read it because it sometimes sparks something in me, sometimes I can relate, sometimes I get confirmation of something about which I was coming into knowing as well, sometimes you put into words things which I find hard to describe.

And then I move on, carrying that spark of insight with me.

3. I would read a book that expressed its ideas through fiction. Tell a story of transformation, realization, self-actualization, and becoming. Guide the protagonist and therefore the reader through trial, error, discovery, heartbreak, loss, gain, knowing, peace, self-acceptance, and self-actualization.

Don’t just sit down and expectorate 240 pages of “words of wisdom” or you join the ranks of the “Chicken Soup for the Soul” books, which I’m sure sell well but are only so much mental masturbation.

Raptitude is about getting OUT of your head not lost in it. Raptitude is about NOT sitting idle with a block of paper but getting OUTSIDE of yourself, exploring, experiencing, feeling.

Don’t ruin something fluid by solidifying it or capturing it. It’s beauty is in the fact that it’s fleeting, it’s momentary, it’s possessed by no one and experienced by everyone.

Please just keep being who you are and cranking out these bits of wisdom which we all enjoy.

David April 15, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I appreciate your feedback. But I have to say this strikes me as pretty cynical. Not all books are “Chicken Soup For the Soul” and I don’t know why you equate reading a book with getting lost in your head or masturbation.

At the moment I don’t plan to do anything involving a fictional narrative. I don’t read enough fiction to write fiction. One day.

Kayla April 15, 2011 at 12:05 pm

1) Indeed I would, however I love the fact that in the blog format we can be constantly connected. Just as we’re commenting now, all up in your field of view.
2) Paptitude is a place I can read things that actually make me use my brain in this vast world of surface level uneducated horse shit.
It’s so insightful. I love that you claim to be nothing more than a normal guy who happens to experiment with thought more than most people. No gimmicks, no fluff.
3) I agree with the guy above me who thought of the fiction idea. Such a good way to universalize.

Bear April 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm

1) Yes and I would share it’s existence with others who are thoughtfully exploring their lives.

2) Others have already expressed my impressions quite well.

3) I would like to see a revisiting (and perhaps deepening) of existing content with some new content. I would mention that I feel you should not wait to have more content to come up with a 400 page novel, but instead proceed now and let the book be whatever size it comes out to be. I like ‘small’ books. They feel more ‘accessible’ in the way that a blog does. Not so much to eat in one sitting, as it were.

Kevin Thorsen April 16, 2011 at 5:13 am

1) Yes

2) To me raptitude is a blog which almost always has articles which challenge you to look at things in a different way, and keep reminding you of the fact that there are many ways to do things, and above all, to keep an open mind.

3) I would like to see as mentioned before some of the best ranked articles (not sure how you would rank them) from here, but then perhaps also putting in some which were only available in the book might make people more likely to buy it imo.

yayet93 April 16, 2011 at 6:42 am

1) Would you read a Raptitude book?
2) What is Raptitude about, to you?
a direct to the point blog that not only makes you really understand different notions about life but also helps in making you DO whatever it is you have to do.
3) What would you like to see in a book?
the bestest of Raptitude’s articles

SuperMeatHead April 16, 2011 at 7:04 am

1) Yes.
2) Points of view from an experienced life liver, who tries to understand the many ways of life and improve oneself. Not much different from myself.
3) Tough question. The blog is a good medium on its own and it shouldn’t be revolved around it. Maybe more of a personal chronicle or a gathering of your views gone into full detail spread over various reference-like chapters.

Paula April 16, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Yes, I would certainly read your book. I look forward to your blog entries, your writing is very easy to relate to, and is very helpful to someone who is “in their head” a lot like I am.

cheers,

Paula

Julie April 18, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Hiya David!

Congrats! No big surprise here on this one. I know your book will be a big success and touch many lives.

There are so many great responses, and I want to add my confident vote to the “you know the way” sentiment.

My honest answers to your questions :

1) Would you read a Raptitude book? Absolutely, if it varied in some way from what you have here. But I would buy a compilation style Raptitude book for others.

2) What is Raptitude about, to you? Honesty, Hope, Vulnerability, Acceptance, Self-Inquiry, and extremely well written Tales from the Growth Edge.

3) What would you like to see in a book? Well, I happen to LOVE your experiments. They have inspired me a great deal and have actually served in transforming my life. I have read a great deal of spiritual/soulful goods, so for me, the freshness of applying all these profound insights in a real-life practical way is what speaks to me. That’s not to say it’s what you should write about… but it’s what I would personally like to see… a step by step instruction manual on experimenting with your life, busting through your own growth edge and becoming the best human you can be. Haha!

Much love and many blessings to your path… stay gold pony boy.
Julie

PS~ and have you tried cashew cheese yet?!?!?!!!!!

Basil April 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Hi David

Raptitude deserves a book.

I would read it. A book is a treasure beyond the limits of flickering screens and bandwidth. It can become a friend, one to thumb through with familiarity and recognition beyond the passing of the internet. Having said that, I am sure it will end up as some form of e-book, which is great for those who treasure their Kindles.

Raptitude is about a young philosopher wise beyond his years sharing the reality of living life.

I’d like to see much of the same as your website. Each post has a strength of its own and your experiments add another dimension. Some of the posts really make me stop and think and others lose me a bit; I’d like to feel caught up in each chapter and not want to gloss any of them.

Well done!

PS I just visited the Namib Desert and I think you might like the pictures. Have a look and you’re welcome to use them if you want.

Take care and stay true to yourself.

Basil

Brook April 20, 2011 at 4:11 am

coming to this perhaps a little late, as getting ready to move has consumed my time and attention of late. nonetheless, since you asked:

1) Would you read a Raptitude book?
yes, I would. for the same reasons that I read this blog, and because a book is a bit more portable for locations where web access is not readily available or (as in on planes) outright forbidden.

2) What is Raptitude about, to you?
I came into the blog thinking it was going to be one thing, and found it quite another, and really that’s about the best description there is, for me. It’s a walk down the normal, mundane paths of life and experience and thought pattern, then a quick stop and shift of perspective by 90 to 180 degrees. I like that. We allow ourselves to become like rats “trapped” in the maze, doing the same things for the same rewards over and over, and you remind us to stop and look over the top of the wall which is well within reach.

3) What would you like to see in a book?
the Being part of all this – random essays on whatever thought tangent makes its way to the top of the pool are awesome, but the day to day living with the insight part is sometimes lacking. You’ve had this insight that shifted how you looked at a particular thing – that’s nice, did you tuck it in your nightstand when you went to bed? What did you DO with it? How does it fit into your life with any or all of the other insights you’ve had? Do they conflict? Do they play well with others? How does that work in the becoming part of becoming a better human? (paraphrasing your getting better at)

It bothers me sometimes how little interconnectedness there is between posts, and between concepts, here. It doesn’t often seem as though they’re part of the same life, and I’d like to see how they fit in with each other more.

Christopher April 21, 2011 at 10:47 am

I love it when you write about “moments”

Kris D April 22, 2011 at 12:57 pm

1) Would you read a Raptitude book?
Yes I would read a Raptitude book for sure!

2) What is Raptitude about, to you?
This is really hard but Raptitude has come to represent my connection with “Sanity” – in my life Fluff Free Spirituality, Acknowledgement of the Human Condition, and Thoughts on how to build a working methodology within yourself are very hard to come by. I get all of those things from Raptitude.

3) What would you like to see in a book?
I would love to see you expound on Headlessness, as well as build stronger more complete messages for some of your key topics from posts here on the blog. You have scratched the surface of some epic things and I would love to see you take them to their logical extension to delve into the deepest concepts you have concerning them. Things like happiness could easily be a whole book – your perception of happiness and the way that we experience it is very refined and I would love to have more than what is here in the blog to help me understand your perspective.

Thanks for asking for feedback – I have enjoyed being a part of the community!

~Kris

Ronda April 23, 2011 at 10:42 am

My perfectly honest answer is no, I would not read your book. I enjoy this format much more: I read the current blog, let it roll around in my head for a while, usually let it take root, and then I read it again a time or two. The happiness I feel when I see a new blog entry would be gone, and I would have….another book. Yes, I’m sure if I read the book after each entry I’d think, “Wow, he’s right, what truth there is in that” but then I’d flip to the next page and the full potential of the prior page would be unrealized. I SAVOR the new entries as they come. I accumulate their wisdom, layer by layer. To have them all at once, all bound up nice and neatly, word after word after word…..that would be like the axiomatic box of chocolates – I’d never have the pleasure of not knowing what I was going to get.

nickyO April 24, 2011 at 8:55 pm

1) Yes I would read a Raptitude book. While I might not agree with everything you write, you have a freshness to your writing, a great way of putting things that challenges the reader to introspection and at times action.

2.) I think it is an invitation for people to join you on your quest of becoming the you, you want to be and in the process inspiring those people to become who they want to be. A little sign in the road that says “Hey this worked for me, maybe it will work for you.”

3.) This last question I can’t help you with. You are doing a great job with the blog, I think a book would simply help you reach another set of people. I’d say pretty much what you are doing right now, but hit on what points you feel are the most important to you.

Keep up the good work, whatever you decide.

Chris New April 25, 2011 at 8:14 pm

1) Would you read a Raptitude book?
- I most certainly would. I’d probably buy a paperback version, but something I could read on my iPhone would be great, too.

2) What is Raptitude about, to you?
- You’ve already laid it out pretty well; I think it is about the current/next stage of human evolution and evolution of the self. We’ve reached a point where simply surviving is no longer an issue (third-world tragedy notwithstanding) and now we must find the potential of our minds, and develop that.
Certainly that sounds a bit more scientific than a lot of the topics you discuss on here, but I feel like that’s at the at the core of it. Where millions of years ago this site may have served as a place for our pre-human ancestors to learn what animals and physical obstacles to avoid and how best to protect ourselves from the elements, what you have here is suggestions about what sort of mental and emotional pitfalls to avoid and how best to develop into a more successful person.

3) What would you like to see in a book?
In my current situation in life (just finished college, heading into the working world), I would love for it to be something I could pick up and put down with ease. Something to which I wouldn’t have to devote huge amounts of time in one sitting to enjoy. As I said earlier, it would be nice to carry along in my pocket on my phone, for reading on the train or in a waiting room. Keep the topics varied as you do here, from the literal, practical suggestions like organizing an apartment, to the more abstract ideas about thought patterns and attitudes.

Regardless, please do a book. I know myself and others would greatly appreciate it.

-Chris

Avi April 26, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Raptitude is about leading a purposeful life and doing meaningful things instead of purposeless things

Catie May 3, 2011 at 2:30 am

This is my first comment ever…I just started following this site recently, but already its made it to my “everydayish” tab. I would definitely buy a book if you put one out.

Either way, I’ll keep reading your blog.

Tim May 4, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I just stumbled onto your site literally today, and am just bowled over by it. The posting about four words first caught my attention. You are obviously much younger than I am–and much wiser! I look forward to perusing the Archives. I’m sure I’ll learn a lot, get inspired to ponder life more deeply than I usually do.

One of the many pithy sayings of the late folksinger, Utah Phillips (one of my main culture heroes) was: Technology has replaced reflection. I think those four words say a whole lot about our current society. But you are using blog technology to help and inspire your audience to reflect and ponder. That’s a wonderful thing! Thank you!

As to the questions you posed in this post, I’m way too new to this blog to give definitive answers, except that I really am a book-oriented person and a printed version of your thoughts would be a great thing to have, and to give to friends. As for what a book might contain, I echo some of the thoughts from other commenters. If there are some kinds of ruminations that haven’t made it into your blog for one reason or another, maybe they’d fit better in print???

Again, thank you for what you’re doing!